Redhat/Netscape Backspace Problem

Post by Kurt Rupprec » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.
                                                       Kurt
"If you understand it, it's obsolete."

http://www.wolfe.net/~snout/

Post by Stephen Clingerma » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
> function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
> cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
> instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
> annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
> matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
> have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.
>                                                        Kurt
> "If you understand it, it's obsolete."

> http://www.wolfe.net/~snout/

I have a similar problem with emacs. The Backspace key and the Delete
key are treated the same. I'm hot on the trail, though. It has something
to to with the keymap being used by X, because it does not occur when
I'm not running X.

Within emacs (under X):

Doing a ^h c for the Backspace key reveals:
"delete key runs backward-delete-char"

For the Delete key it says the same thing.

A ^h b displays the keymap which shows that backspace = DEL and delete =
DEL

Within emacs (not under X):

Doing a ^h c for the Backspace key reveals:
"delete key runs backward-delete-char"

For the Delete key it says:
"deletechar key runs delete-char"

So probably somewhere in the maze exists some table which asssigns the
keymap for X.

If someone has the answer already, great! Meanwhile I'll keep
searching...

--
Steve Clingerman
----------------

Post by bgee » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

 >> When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
 >> function correctly.

I fixed this problem by adding the following to my .Xdefaults file:

!----------------------------------------------------------------------
!
!  Fixes for that pesky Motif "goddam backspace doesn't work!"
!
!----------------------------------------------------------------------
*XmText.translations:      #override \
                      <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()
*XmTextField.translations: #override \
                      <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()

Of course, the "delete" key now *also* does "backspace" but I can live
with that a lot easier.  Resolving this one would likely drive me
crazy or take a lot more time than I have or both...:-)

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky /              *             <>

<>   Salt Lake City, Utah   |   -\<,      * <\      </L   <>
<>          U S A           |   O/ O     __ /__,    />    <>

Post by Ewald de Wi » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
> function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
> cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
> instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
> annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
> matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
> have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.

Just put

xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

in your ~/.xinitrc

--
  --  Ewald

1. Redhat/Netscape Backspace Key Problem

When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.
                                                       Kurt
"If you understand it, it's obsolete."

http://www.wolfe.net/~snout/

2. Q: multi-homed server with multiple default routers

3. create an iso imagen

4. Exiting MINICOM The right way?How?

5. Mapping "ctrl-space" to keystroke

6. Netscape/Telnet backspace problems with RedHat 3.0.3

7. Netscape 2.0 - Keysyms problem (backspace and delete key problems)

8. netscape's backspace problem

9. : Netscape problem - Backspace key again

10. Netscape backspace problem--Where can I find the fix for it?