dumb dumb question

Post by James J. Har » Mon, 30 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I've got a stupid question.
I'm a VERY VERY new user of Linux, and I don't know a damn (thank you
Supreme Court) thing about doing anything.  My friend said I had to run
XF86Setup as root, but I have no idea how to do that.  I know how to
logon as root, and I've got the files installed from the Slackware
distribution (I think it's 3.0).  I'm just stuck at the getting started
point.   What do I type as root to run the XF86Setup program?
A somewhat bewildered newbie,
James

dumb dumb question

Post by Gary Lawrence Murph » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

As a very new user to Linux, you may want to go RedHat as it has an
install program (RPM) which will notify you of version conflicts and
the like.  The Xconfigurator program is also very friendly to new
users.

That said, I do like slackware overall, and the program you want is
xf86config --- be prepared with your graphics hardware specs, the
scan frequencies of your monitor, your mouse type and where it is
connected and a basic thrill of "what happens if I press THIS button?"

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy  - TeleDynamics -  (519)422-1150 f(519):422-2723

http://www.sos.on.ca/~garym  - RR#1 7 Forest Pl Sauble Beach, Ont CAN
------------------------------------------------- Test the impossible

dumb dumb question

Post by Martin Walle » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> point.   What do I type as root to run the XF86Setup program?
> A somewhat bewildered newbie,
> James

Well, how about trying XF86Setup? (<-note the case)?

Your fun has just begun.

--
Disclaimer: My views are my own and in no way reflect those of my
employer

1. dumb da dumb dumb newbie prob.

rh7 running apache2 on cable modem service w/o domain name yet. Finally got
users /home/*/public_html/ working.

However, if http://111.111.111.111/~user/ is sent, the user's public_html
index page is served. but if I drop off the tailing / as in /~user only, no
luck.

I am certain this is a simple one and all I need to do is edit httpd.conf
to accept BOTH.

So, which line & where?

all insults accepted if you include the fix.

Thanks!

2. how to recreate /etc/aliases ? mlml

3. DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

4. No root disk controller, No SCSI host adapter found

5. Connecting dumb VT220 dumb terminals to host over Frame Relay

6. Buslogic SCSI, 1.3.5x kernels broken?

7. Dumb terminal's not dumb enough!

8. Bad experiences with AIX mirroring?

9. Dumb Terminals or Dumb User ?

10. most users are DD (Dumb as Dogshit) pc users are dumb;dog shit is dumb;pc users are dogshit? You decide!

11. Unix/W95 Question, dumb question...

12. FreeBSD firewall question + a really dumb question(yes I'm new to FreeBSD)

13. What To Download - Dumb Questions