Root window DC?

Post by Steve Cart » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me with resources explaining the root
window... I would like to be able to start apps in the root window,
or failing that, write an interactive app of my own in the root...
Anyone know that this won't work?

Cheers,

Steve.

--
"Look, mate; you're born, you keep your head down and then you die.
If you're lucky" - 'Bottom'

Root window DC?

Post by Jim Rober » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello all,

> I wonder if anyone can help me with resources explaining the root
> window... I would like to be able to start apps in the root window,
> or failing that, write an interactive app of my own in the root...
> Anyone know that this won't work?

> Cheers,

> Steve.

Steve,

The root window is the area of the screen that is sometimes referred to
as the "desktop". It is the blank area on which other windows are created.

You can start apps in the .xinitrc file by listing them before the window
manager. ie:
             exec xterm &
             exec xfm &
             exec mwm

This would start an Xterm then the xfm file manager then the window manager
MWM. By not putting the & after the windowmanager, when you exit it, the x
session will shutdown.

Most window managers also have an init or restart function that you can
include startup apps in.  This would be in the run-control file for the
windowmanager, ie: mwmrc for MWM or fvwmrc for FVWM.

The first option is good if you wish to start different apps as different
users and the second is good if all users are to start X with a default
set of apps from the system rc files. If the users home directory contains
.mwmrc or .fvwmrc, it will override the system file.

Good luck

--
Jim Roberts

Root window DC?

Post by Steve Cart » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: The root window is the area of the screen that is sometimes referred to
: as the "desktop". It is the blank area on which other windows are created.

Doh!  I _did_ rather sound like a newbie didn't I, sorry.  I know what the
root _looks like_ - I want to know if it's possible to display stuff on it
in your own app.  Since xsetroot can do it, then blitting to it is
possible, and therefore, some degree of animation is possible; but I don't
know whether I would be able to trap mouse and keyboard events in it.  I
suppose I would have to write my own window manager which redefines the
root and then runs another window manager on top to do the actual
management of windows..!

--
Spam Highlights #16 in a series:
REPORT #5: HOW TO WRITE                 Gross Industries

Root window DC?

Post by Paul Robert » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>: The root window is the area of the screen that is sometimes referred to
>: as the "desktop". It is the blank area on which other windows are
created.

>Doh!  I _did_ rather sound like a newbie didn't I, sorry.  I know what the
>root _looks like_ - I want to know if it's possible to display stuff on it
>in your own app.  Since xsetroot can do it, then blitting to it is
>possible, and therefore, some degree of animation is possible; but I don't
>know whether I would be able to trap mouse and keyboard events in it.  I
>suppose I would have to write my own window manager which redefines the
>root and then runs another window manager on top to do the actual
>management of windows..!

AFAIK you don't need to go to such lengths. apps like xsnow and xearth
animate in the root window without doing that. I suggest you look at their
sources. I've haccked around in xearth a fair bit (a while ago now) and it's
source is clear and well laid out. I seem to recall comments in the source
code that talk about the root window

<goes and looks at the source>
yeah the file x11.c in the xearth sources has commented functions for
grabbing the root window and doing your own thing in it

Cheers

Paul

Root window DC?

Post by Steve Cart » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: yeah the file x11.c in the xearth sources has commented functions for
: grabbing the root window and doing your own thing in it

Cheers Paul!

--
Spam Highlights #13 in a series:
Don't Just Clap ! Use   "Happy Claps".   A brand new team spirit item, that

1. Tekram DC-315U/DC-935UW support?

Hi!

Does anyone know if Tekram's SCSI-cards DC-315U or DC935UW are supported?
Are they any good? I know Adaptec has a rather solid reputation, but at the
moment I'd rather buy something cheaper.

This seems to be a rather new card, or am I mistaken? I can't find it in the
Hardware-HOWTO, but that document is from September 1999.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!
/P?r.

2. Opinions/Experiences with Solaris7/Intel (wrt Linux 2.2)?

4. Deleting programs

5. Color problems in root window with Window Maker 0.50.2

6. Annoying "you have mail" message

7. Linux root.root -> OBSD root.?

8. wu-ftpd on Solaris

9. change root window

10. How to get console windows in X for non root?

11. Controlling what window manager runs in root...

12. Mounting windows partition without root access

13. Setting root window wallpaper