X can start by startx, but when started automatically after linux is loaded,it hangs

X can start by startx, but when started automatically after linux is loaded,it hangs

Post by Mingyi Li » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del and it
caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I configured it to
do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I got kind
help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to console, after
which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then after I
log in through console and try startx, X started without any glitch (even
though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I had
before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will hang there
without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and start X
later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then which one
could it be?

Thanks.

Mingyi

Post by Marc » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del and it
> caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I configured it to
> do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I got kind
> help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to console, after
> which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then after I
> log in through console and try startx, X started without any glitch (even
> though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I had
> before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will hang there
> without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and start X
> later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then which one
> could it be?

> Thanks.

> Mingyi

This is because one of the files of xdm or kdm (whatever you use) is
corrupted.
Have you taken a look at /var/log/messages to see if it shows what file
is damaged.

Good luck,
--
Marc

Logica: De kunst om het vol overtuiging bij het verkeerde eind te
hebben.
Remove nospam to reply

1. After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically,it hangs

I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del and it
caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I configured it to
do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I got kind
help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to console, after
which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then after I
log in through console and try startx, X started without any glitch (even
though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I had
before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will hang there
without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and start X
later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then which one
could it be?

Thanks.

Mingyi

2. UNIX GCC

3. After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically

4. How to upgrade using different SCSI card in Solaris x86?

5. After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically,it

6. Help please:..why doesn't the keyboard work?! (Corel Linux)

7. How do I start X automatically when I start Linux???

8. hottelephone / go2call & masquerading

9. how to start kde automatically when x starts?

10. Automatically starting program when GNOME starts

11. How 'startx' automatically start fvwm ?

12. Automatically starting dialup connection when starting Netscape?

13. StartX doesn't start; linux hangs...