bg processes left behind via xinitrc?

Post by Alex » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:40:27

hello!

in my .xinitrc i have a few programs started in the bg.
for instance "xterm &", or "bbkeys &".

when i log out of X, or shut it down, how do those processes
get killed?
xterm is a graphical program, so since that looses its display
i guess that causes it to shutdown?
bbkeys though is a little daemon helping program for blackbox
just listening for keypresses. how does that die?

how would i otherwise force a cleanup on exit?

is there a file equivalent to .bash_logout?
or is this supposed to be handled in some other way?

  tia / ak

1. Child processes left behind when killing script

Hi,

I'm running the following script...

    #!/bin/ksh
    sleep 1000

If I run the script then exit it using 'kill -9 %<JOB>' then both the script
and the sleep exit.

If I run the script then exit it using 'kill -9 <PID>' then the script exits
but the sleep is orphaned. Does anyone know why the sleep is not killed too?

Thanks in advance,

Graeme.

2. test

3. why does rsh leave behind a useless process

4. VPN on SOLARIS 8

5. Why cannot xterm use -bg option in .xinitrc ?

6. performance of Apache vs Netscape Enterprise

7. Why <defunct> process after leaving a fork()ed process?

8. mkisofs doesn't like fat32 partitions

9. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

10. Start a process from a remote host disconnect and leave the process running

11. does .xinitrc replace the /init.d/.../xinitrc ?

12. too many TCP_FIN_WAIT_2 left behind

13. User logged out but ghost left behind ........