need XF86Config for Diamond stealth 64 vram

need XF86Config for Diamond stealth 64 vram

Post by jonathan hanki » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Cant get X running w/ diamond stealth 64 2 meg vram....even after
RTFM-ing, a lot :) Anyone have a working XF86Config for this config? I am
mainly looking for good clocks--X -probeonly is no help. Thanks!
jonathan

need XF86Config for Diamond stealth 64 vram

Post by bruc » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Here's a copy of the X86Config section for my Diamond Steath 64 w/2 Megs DRAM:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Diamond Stealth 64 Dram"
    VendorName  "Diamond"
    BoardName   "Stealth 64 Dram with S3-Trio64"
    VideoRam    2048
    Option      "Diamond"
    Option      "nolinear"
# Use Option "nolinear" if the server doesn't start up correctly
# (this avoids the linear framebuffer probe). If that fails try
# option "nomemaccess".

the big trick isn't the Device section though, it is the Screen section, and
that is dependent more on your monitor than anything. a fellow wrote a very
informative article on how to determine the timings for any combination of
'clocks' (your board has a programable clock chip that is "supposed" to give an
almost infinite number of possibilities) and horizontal and vertical refresh
rates. I can't remember where I found this but it seems there was a FAQ on the
subject. If you have the slackware distribution I believe you can find it on
the second disk, somewhere in the sunsite directories. One thing you can try if
you have a 'standard' VGA monitor is try the numbers in the sample XF86Config
files for starters. as always BE CAREFUL you CAN blow up a monitor with the
wrong settings. :{( Good luck.