X-windows slow?

Post by Travelle » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>  /I jsut installed RedHat Linux (off redhat unleashed) and for some
> reason my x-windows is really strange, the mouse is extremely skippy,
> and slow, and the windows go off the screen and onto the other side,
> what can I do to correct this, I am not very familiar with
> linux. Frost

Are you by chance running gpm?

- Trav

X-windows slow?

Post by Francis Piero » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Some prerequisites:

- What's your video card ?

- What's XFree version ?

- Did you XF86Setup and choose the correct card, not using the wrong server
?

- What do you mean by "windows go onto the other side" ? If you have a
virtual desktop with multiple panels, getting the mouse on the right side of
top-left panel will automatically get top-right panel on screen, etc. This
can be disturbing for new bies (and others as well : some people, like me,
don't like this at all).

To be continued, I guess.

/
I jsut installed RedHat Linux (off redhat unleashed) and for some reason my
x-windows is really strange, the mouse is extremely skippy, and slow, and
the windows go off the screen and onto the other side, what can I do to
correct this, I am not very familiar with linux.

Frost

1. Is it just me or is X-windows slow???

I'm new to Linux, but have set it up on two different systems.  The one
thing
that I have noticed is that X-windows (using either Afterstep or Fvvm2)
seems
to react slow.
There seems to be a noticeable pause, worse with some programs then with
others, when
I execute a program.  Once I'm in the x-program everything works ok,
it's primarily start-up
thats the problem.
Any ideas??  Is it something I'm doing wrong in my setup or
configuration??

Also, why can't I execute an x-program when I su to root (netcfg for
instance).

    Thanks in adv.
                    Mike

  mjwest.vcf
< 1K Download

2. any suggestion for POP server?

4. Solaris 2.5.1 and NIS+ running on an x86

5. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

6. Detecting when the socket connection drops

7. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

8. Help! wierd messages from a SunOS machine

9. x-windows runs really slow

10. X-windows VERY slow

11. X-Windows is slow.. Please help.

12. X-Windows windows, dem dam windows!

13. Good, free X-Windows client for Windows 98?