Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

Post by PowerPengui » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:42:37

Hi,

Why is the gtk font selection dialog not always the same? For example:
when I do:
$ gvim &
$ gimp &

and then get the font dialog of both programs to filter only for
gb2312.1980-0, this is what I get:

gimp:
ar pl kaitim gb (arphic)
ar pl sunil gb (arphic)
fangsongti
songti

gvim:
fangsongti
songti

Why doesn't gvim have the arphic fonts?

Now, when I choose songti or fangsongti in gvim, the cursor (and window)
gets very large and it advances with large steps while typing, but I don't
see anything. Why?

Anybody ideas? Thanks.

--
Jeroen
*** "Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle ***

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:26:40

> Now, when I choose songti or fangsongti in gvim, the cursor (and window)
> gets very large and it advances with large steps while typing, but I don't
> see anything. Why?

Because the fonts are there, they have been scanned and entered into the
database, but you (the present user) don't have access rights to actually
read them. You need to change the access rights in the font directory and
its files so they have world enter and read access.

# cd (font directory)
# chmod ugo+r -R .

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by PowerPengui » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:43:49

>> Now, when I choose songti or fangsongti in gvim, the cursor (and
>> window) gets very large and it advances with large steps while typing,
>> but I don't see anything. Why?

> Because the fonts are there, they have been scanned and entered into the
> database, but you (the present user) don't have access rights to
> actually read them. You need to change the access rights in the font
> directory and its files so they have world enter and read access.

> # cd (font directory)
> # chmod ugo+r -R .

Thanks, but no solution :(
I checked the rights, all is ok.
I'm running both programs as the same user btw, and still there is this
difference... (That means in gimp it works, in gvim it doesn't)

Other ideas?

--
Jeroen
*** "When you have given nothing, ask for nothing." - Albanian Proverb ***

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:49:33

>>> Now, when I choose songti or fangsongti in gvim, the cursor (and
>>> window) gets very large and it advances with large steps while typing,
>>> but I don't see anything. Why?

>> Because the fonts are there, they have been scanned and entered into the
>> database, but you (the present user) don't have access rights to
>> actually read them. You need to change the access rights in the font
>> directory and its files so they have world enter and read access.

>> # cd (font directory)
>> # chmod ugo+r -R .

> Thanks, but no solution :(

How do you know you were in the right directory? Did you restart the font
server after changing the access rights?

Quote:> I checked the rights, all is ok.

Please. I checked my taxes, and all were OK. But the IRS disagreed -- they
wanted some stupid document called a "tax return." *retentive
beauracrats.

The problem is font access rights. Hand-waving won't make this go away.

Quote:> I'm running both programs as the same user btw, and still there is this
> difference... (That means in gimp it works, in gvim it doesn't)

> Other ideas?

Yeah, here's my other idea. Check the access rights on your font
directories. Make sure the directory you check is the right one.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

Post by PowerPengui » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:32:14

Hi,

Quote:>>> # cd (font directory)
>>> # chmod ugo+r -R .

>> Thanks, but no solution :(

> How do you know you were in the right directory? Did you restart the
> font server after changing the access rights?

I don't use a font-server, only Xft.

Quote:>> I checked the rights, all is ok.

> Please. I checked my taxes, and all were OK. But the IRS disagreed --
> they wanted some stupid document called a "tax return." *retentive
> beauracrats.

> The problem is font access rights. Hand-waving won't make this go away.

let's put it another way: _all_  font-files on my entire system are world
readable, they were before and they are now. (As are all fonts.dir,
fonts.scale and *.enc, if that matters)

Quote:>> I'm running both programs as the same user btw, and still there is this
>> difference... (That means in gimp it works, in gvim it doesn't)

>> Other ideas?

> Yeah, here's my other idea. Check the access rights on your font
> directories. Make sure the directory you check is the right one.

It still doesn't make sense that in one program they work, and in the
other they don't. I repeat, these programs were started from the same
shell, and operate having the same access-rights. (Not that it matters,
since all font-files are world readable.)

Having said this, I still think I might be right looking for more ideas ;)

--
Jeroen
*** "The secret to success is to know something nobody else knows." - Aristotle Onassis ***

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:47:11

> Hi,

>>> Thanks, but no solution :(

>> How do you know you were in the right directory? Did you restart the
>> font server after changing the access rights?

> I don't use a font-server, only Xft.

Whether or not you realize it, you are using a font server.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

Post by PowerPengui » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:11:55

Hi,

<big snip>

Quote:> Whether or not you realize it, you are using a font server.

Thanks for your prompt responses ;)

AFAIK from XFree version 4.2 up, font "serving" is taken care of by the
FreeType module or xtt module (to be chosen freely). This is no font
serving in the classical sense on a network socket, as was the case with
xfs.

Anyway, we are losing direction in the topic. Are there any other
possible explanations (and solutions) regarding my font problem?

Cheers.

--
Jeroen
*** "Fond as we are of our loved ones, there comes at times during their absence an unexplained peace." - Anne Shaw ***

Post by PowerPengui » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:13:19

[...]

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:50:54

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:47:11 -0700,

+>
+> > Hi,
+> >
+> >
+> >>>> # cd (font directory)
+> >>>> # chmod ugo+r -R .
+> >>>
+> >>> Thanks, but no solution :(
+> >>
+> >> How do you know you were in the right directory? Did you restart the
+> >> font server after changing the access rights?
+> >
+> > I don't use a font-server, only Xft.
+>
+> Whether or not you realize it, you are using a font server.

If you haven't been paying attention, it isn't likely to be the font
server, since he's running two applications on the same machine, one
of which picks up the additional fonts, and one of which does not.

Unless you mean to imply that the fontserver is the culprit in doling
out the fonts differently to different applications?

James
isn't looking good, either.

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:22:18

> Hi,

HI. STOP POSTING THIS SAME MESSAGE.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:23:02

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:47:11 -0700,

> +>
> +> > Hi,
> +> >
> +> >
> +> >>>> # cd (font directory)
> +> >>>> # chmod ugo+r -R .
> +> >>>
> +> >>> Thanks, but no solution :(
> +> >>
> +> >> How do you know you were in the right directory? Did you restart the
> +> >> font server after changing the access rights?
> +> >
> +> > I don't use a font-server, only Xft.
> +>
> +> Whether or not you realize it, you are using a font server.

> If you haven't been paying attention, it isn't likely to be the font
> server,

That was not what I said. There was no "it," just a statement of fact.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:19:07

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:23:02 -0700,

+>
+> > On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:47:11 -0700,

+> > +>
+> > +> > Hi,
+> > +> >
+> > +> >
+> > +> >>>> # cd (font directory)
+> > +> >>>> # chmod ugo+r -R .
+> > +> >>>
+> > +> >>> Thanks, but no solution :(
+> > +> >>
+> > +> >> How do you know you were in the right directory? Did you restart the
+> > +> >> font server after changing the access rights?
+> > +> >
+> > +> > I don't use a font-server, only Xft.
+> > +>
+> > +> Whether or not you realize it, you are using a font server.
+> >
+> > If you haven't been paying attention, it isn't likely to be the font
+> > server,
+>
+> That was not what I said. There was no "it," just a statement of fact.

You must a mathemagician. What you've said is correct, but it's also
meaningless. There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't know", or "I
haven't encountered that".

If you want to flame/taunt/poke fun at the poor OP, that's what
alt.flame is for...

HTH. HAND.

James
isn't looking good, either.

Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

Post by PowerPengui » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:53:05

Ok,

> Hi,

> <big snip>

>> Whether or not you realize it, you are using a font server.

> Thanks for your prompt responses ;)

> AFAIK from XFree version 4.2 up, font "serving" is taken care of by the
> FreeType module or xtt module (to be chosen freely). This is no font
> serving in the classical sense on a network socket, as was the case with
> xfs.

> Anyway, we are losing direction in the topic. Are there any other
> possible explanations (and solutions) regarding my font problem?

> Cheers.

Seems I'm going to have too look somewhere else, since this thread ended
in the swamp.

Bye.

--
Jeroen
*** "Show business is dog eat dog. It's worse than dog eat dog. It's dog doesn't return dog's phone calls." - Woody Allen ***

1. FONTS FONTS AND MORE FONTS

Hi all,

I have Solaris 2.5.1 installed on a Sparc 20 and and running CDE. I am
rather disappointed with the fonts that are installed. Is there a way
to make more fonts available to the system?

Also, where can I get aforementioned "more fonts"?

TIA.

--
Divya Sundaram --------------------------------------CONDITUR IN PETRA
".. More is demanded to produce one wise man today than seven formerly,

2. Linux Internet Server

3. FONTS FONTS FONTS... LOTS OF THEM!!!!!!!

4. changing monitor type

5. Missing gtk-config while blding gvim w/ gtk

6. installing via PLIP

7. Gvim, Mozilla menu font

8. Where do "Programs" go?

9. gvim & fonts

10. larger fonts for gVIM and other apps

11. Symantec Java Dialog font

12. Huge font on dialog boxes

13. keyboard/console fonts vs. X-fonts