Cirrus Logic CLGD 5434 problem

Post by SammyTheSna » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The system:

Debian 2.0 w/ linux kernel 2.2.13
XFree86 3.3.2 (from deb2.0)
Cirrus Logic CLGD-5434 w/ 1MB
Monster3D Voodoo II w/ 12MB (probably not relevant but it can't hurt to
                           include it :)

      Basically I recently added a new 17" taxan 730tco monitor to relace
the seriously pants 14" VGA one and decided to fiddle with X to take
advantage of the new screeen.

      I ran XF86Setup and set the various bits and bobs ok without problems,
the default server closed down (VGA16 isn't it?) and then the SVGA
accelerated server came up correctly(*). I used xvidtune to get a nice
picture and then clicked on the save 'n' exit button. The display

      With the kernel locked (I even set up a shell doing "while [ true ] ;
do sleep 1 ; sync ; done" to reduce fs corruption and that stops too) I
can't do any debugging (not that I'd really have a clue where to start but
at least I could send info to the X ppl)

      Has the clgd5434 stuff been updated since 3.3.2? I had a look on the
website and it seems not but I was hoping somebody who knows in detail might
be able to tell me. I'm planning to download some 3.3.5 or whatever type
stuff to see if it'll help anyway.

      I've played and played and played and not found how to workaround this
without going back to the old vidmode settings and hacking in 640x480 is not
fun :(

If anyone can tell me what to do I'll be very grateful!

TIA
SammyTheSnake
(*) it seemed to have a fairly good go at supporting 1100x800 or something,
but it was mushed. not surprising considering the card's only supposed to do
1024x768! ;)
--

-=SF9=- a team based FPS game with AI by SammyTheSnake & JB www.symbiosys.org
       primrose    up 26 days,  7:48,    load average: 2.56, 2.77, 3.45

Cirrus Logic CLGD 5434 problem

Post by SammyTheSna » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

SammyTheSnake fell asleep on the keyboard and...

>The system:

>Debian 2.0 w/ linux kernel 2.2.13
>XFree86 3.3.2 (from deb2.0)
>Cirrus Logic CLGD-5434 w/ 1MB
>Monster3D Voodoo II w/ 12MB (probably not relevant but it can't hurt to
>                           include it :)

>      Basically I recently added a new 17" taxan 730tco monitor to relace
>the seriously pants 14" VGA one and decided to fiddle with X to take
>advantage of the new screeen.

>      I ran XF86Setup and set the various bits and bobs ok without problems,
>the default server closed down (VGA16 isn't it?) and then the SVGA
>accelerated server came up correctly(*). I used xvidtune to get a nice
>picture and then clicked on the save 'n' exit button. The display
>successfully switches to text mode (the right one) with a couple of amber

>      With the kernel locked (I even set up a shell doing "while [ true ] ;
>do sleep 1 ; sync ; done" to reduce fs corruption and that stops too) I
>can't do any debugging (not that I'd really have a clue where to start but
>at least I could send info to the X ppl)

>      Has the clgd5434 stuff been updated since 3.3.2? I had a look on the
>website and it seems not but I was hoping somebody who knows in detail might
>be able to tell me. I'm planning to download some 3.3.5 or whatever type
>stuff to see if it'll help anyway.

>      I've played and played and played and not found how to workaround this
>without going back to the old vidmode settings and hacking in 640x480 is not
>fun :(

>If anyone can tell me what to do I'll be very grateful!

>TIA
>SammyTheSnake
>(*) it seemed to have a fairly good go at supporting 1100x800 or something,
>but it was mushed. not surprising considering the card's only supposed to do
>1024x768! ;)

Uh, guys?

I really need a solution to this problem and I've not received a single
reply from any newsgroup, if anyone knows of a better place to ask the
question, that'd be good too...

SammyTheSnake
--

-=SF9=- a team based FPS game with AI by SammyTheSnake & JB www.symbiosys.org
       primrose    up 32 days,  7:27,    load average: 1.54, 2.09, 2.64