mail program for X

Post by Graham Goug » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We're about to switch our undergraduate (Unix) teaching labs from Suns
to Linux (RH 5.x + fvwm2) and are currently deciding on the default
setup to give to students. In particular we want a point and click
mail program (we previusly used Sun's mailtool). We've looked at KDE
which has kmail, but have the impression that KDE is not quite robust
enough yet to be used in this type of environment.

We also need to settle on an editor and are currently leaning towards
nedit, which seems to be simple and robust. I personally use emacs but
I'm not convinced that this is suitable for beginners.

Do other users have any useful experience that they would care to
share.

Graham

--
Graham D. Gough, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.

mail program for X

Post by David Rudd » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I've used and liked XCmail and tkRat.  XCmail is more attractive, but
I've found tkRat to be easier to work with.  There's a port of tkRat
to make it look more like OpenStep, with nice icons, etc., but I
forget the name.

Quote:>We're about to switch our undergraduate (Unix) teaching labs from Suns

Post by Mike Hard » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I've found tkRat to be easier to work with.  There's a port of tkRat
> to make it look more like OpenStep, with nice icons, etc., but I
> forget the name.

Postilion maybe?

<cut>

Quote:> >nedit, which seems to be simple and robust. I personally use emacs but
> >I'm not convinced that this is suitable for beginners.

Why not?  By learning just a few basic commands I think it would be very
usable for beginners.  Getting little tastes and tidbits along the way
of what makes Emacs such a religious experience can be pretty gratifying
(if you're into that kind of thing, of course :->).  People rise/fall to
expectations - I bet they could handle it...

Mike Hardy
AlphaServer Development Group
Digital Equipment Corporation
Maynard, MA  01754