Difference between 'startx', 'xdm', and 'xinit' ?

Difference between 'startx', 'xdm', and 'xinit' ?

Post by Carey Bingha » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I have just installed Debian and installed several xwindow servers
not knowing which one I should install.  The one that seems to be
defaulted is XF86...something(i'm at work and can not remeber exactly
what) , however it said when I configured it(incorrectly of  course)
that I could start xwindows by typing one fo the three commands
above(subject line).

What is the difference between them ? And does anyone suggest an xserver
that I should be using ?

I have a Sony Trinitron 17"(Dell manufactured), Diamond Fire GL 100 Pro
with 8MB.  Also, if anyone could send me a config file to get me started
I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks,

Carey

  Carey_Bingham.vcf
< 1K Download

Difference between 'startx', 'xdm', and 'xinit' ?

Post by Anthony J. Gabrielso » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
        You should create your own config file with XF86Setup. startx is
to start X from the command line, and xdm is a gui login directly to X.
For the time being though you should just run XF86Setup and configure your
X so it works when you type startx.

Anthony

> Hi, I have just installed Debian and installed several xwindow servers
> not knowing which one I should install.  The one that seems to be
> defaulted is XF86...something(i'm at work and can not remeber exactly
> what) , however it said when I configured it(incorrectly of  course)
> that I could start xwindows by typing one fo the three commands
> above(subject line).

> What is the difference between them ? And does anyone suggest an xserver
> that I should be using ?

> I have a Sony Trinitron 17"(Dell manufactured), Diamond Fire GL 100 Pro
> with 8MB.  Also, if anyone could send me a config file to get me started
> I would really appreciate it :)

> Thanks,

> Carey

Difference between 'startx', 'xdm', and 'xinit' ?

Post by Pat Thoyt » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

1. Why can't I 'startx' except as 'root'?

                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's it. The server must be suid root to allow normal users to start
X . Go into /usr/X11R6/bin and change the permissions for the Xserver
executable accordingly - e.g. if using the S3 server, that would be
XF86_S3 .

Michael

* "Real computer scientists don't program in assembler. They don't write *
*  in anything less portable than a number two pencil."                  *

2. repeat for more GB/min of pseudo random

3. Email: Difference between 'sender' and 'from'?

4. Is there an ftp/d that doesn't suffer from "Arguments too long"?

5. differences between ``nv'' and ``nvidia'' X401 drivers?

6. XFree86 hangs at startup

7. What is the difference between 'login: root' and 'su -' ?

8. how to stream real media to disc?

9. Difference between 'copy' and 'lp'

10. What is the difference between 'login: root' and 'su -' ?

11. Difference between 'Mail' and 'mail'?

12. difference 'LABEL=/' and '/dev/hda1' in fstab??

13. ipfwadm: difference between 'reject' and 'deny' commands?