no keyboard when booting without mouse

Post by Lear » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:09:35

I'm working with rack mounted servers, not on KVM's. Servers were installed
with mice and keyboard, mouse is disconnected during normal operations. The
problem comes up when a tech tries to connect a mouse locally while the
server is running. The keyboard nor the mouse work. Investigation reveals
that if the server boots without the mouse the server still boots to run
level 5 and the console is essentially inaccessible. We can telnet or vnc to
the server.

Any way to make a keyboard work when x started without a mouse?

no keyboard when booting without mouse

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:37:18

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:09:35 -0500, Leary staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> I'm working with rack mounted servers, not on KVM's.

??  When you have more than 2 or 3 machines in one small area, a KVM is
almost a necessity.  Get one if you need to work on a machine's console
frequently.

Quote:> Servers were installed with mice and keyboard, mouse is disconnected
> during normal operations. The problem comes up when a tech tries to
> connect a mouse locally while the server is running.  [Neither] the
> keyboard nor the mouse work.

Yep.  This is a combination of X and the x86 architecture's fault, most
likely.  The PS/2 mouse port and the PS/2 keyboard port share signals
and/or behave as one device in some way, which can lead to symptoms like
what you describe in X.  Make sure that "AllowMouseOpenFail" is set to
"true" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config.  You may have to restart X when you
plug a mouse in; AFAIK X only looks for devices when it's first started
up.

Quote:> Any way to make a keyboard work when x started without a mouse?

Think about using a USB mouse, buy a KVM.  It seems strange for a
rackmount Linux box to be running an X server anyway--wasted resources
and all that.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

no keyboard when booting without mouse

Post by Lear » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:26:22

More accurately, what I need to accomplish is for the keyboard to still
function with the mouse disconnected. Getting the mouse to come back to life
is a secondary issue.

In testing, I disconnected the mouse immediately after hardware detection,
before x started, and everything functioned fine. So I disabled kudzu,
disconnected the mouse, and rebooted. No dice. Still no keyboard.
I added the OPTION "AllowMouseOpenFail" and still no luck.

Is this even possible to have a keyboard without a mouse, when a mouse was
originally present?

Quote:> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:09:35 -0500, Leary staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
> > I'm working with rack mounted servers, not on KVM's.

> ??  When you have more than 2 or 3 machines in one small area, a KVM is
> almost a necessity.  Get one if you need to work on a machine's console
> frequently.

> > Servers were installed with mice and keyboard, mouse is disconnected
> > during normal operations. The problem comes up when a tech tries to
> > connect a mouse locally while the server is running.  [Neither] the
> > keyboard nor the mouse work.

> Yep.  This is a combination of X and the x86 architecture's fault, most
> likely.  The PS/2 mouse port and the PS/2 keyboard port share signals
> and/or behave as one device in some way, which can lead to symptoms like
> what you describe in X.  Make sure that "AllowMouseOpenFail" is set to
> "true" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config.  You may have to restart X when you
> plug a mouse in; AFAIK X only looks for devices when it's first started
> up.

> > Any way to make a keyboard work when x started without a mouse?

> Think about using a USB mouse, buy a KVM.  It seems strange for a
> rackmount Linux box to be running an X server anyway--wasted resources
> and all that.

> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
> http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
> -----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

no keyboard when booting without mouse

Post by Bill Marcu » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:35:12

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:26:22 -0500, Leary

> More accurately, what I need to accomplish is for the keyboard to still
> function with the mouse disconnected. Getting the mouse to come back to life
> is a secondary issue.

> In testing, I disconnected the mouse immediately after hardware detection,
> before x started, and everything functioned fine. So I disabled kudzu,
> disconnected the mouse, and rebooted. No dice. Still no keyboard.
> I added the OPTION "AllowMouseOpenFail" and still no luck.

> Is this even possible to have a keyboard without a mouse, when a mouse was
> originally present?

Keyboard doesn't work even when you reboot?  Sounds like a hardware problem.
Or maybe the BIOS is set to ignore the keyboard, instead of the usual "ignore
keyboard error" (but then, Linux doesn't use the BIOS for i/o).

1. booting "headless" i.e. without a keyboard, mouse or video display

I am building a Beowulf cluster from some "orphaned" Deskpro 2000 machines.
I am unable to find any mention of a way to modify the Compaq BIOS to allow
the machines to boot without a keyboard, mouse or video monitor attached.
Has anyone run across a solution?
Does anyone have a copy of the Compaq BIOS Tech Ref that would have these
settings?
Thanks in advance.

Stan Stead

2. Q: ext2 refuses hardlink on directory

3. To start XWindow without a mouse ----> keyboard hangs

4. Intel's Itanium 2 vs Sun's UltraSPARC III

5. Configure display without keyboard and mouse

6. Linux on a Palm

7. To start XWindow without a mouse ----> keyboard hangs

8. pctv card

9. Running X without mouse and keyboard

10. Boot without a keyboard

11. Can't boot linux without keyboard (setup.S problem?)

12. FreeBSD won't boot without a keyboard

13. How do I boot without a keyboard connected?