X libs

Post by Amit N Kulkar » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I just recently upgraded to an ELF system by using the ELF-HOWTO and everything
went fine.  I then decided to upgrade to X3.1.2 since it supports both a.out
and ELF (I still have kernel 1.2.1 w/ a.out---I figured I'd upgrade the kernel
after getting everything else working--or is this the wrong order??).

When I untar some of the files from /usr/X11R6 I get a "Broken pipe" error
message and it stops untarring the file.  These files are:

X312f75.tgz   X312pex.tgz
X312aslb.tgz  X312fcyr.tgz  X312slib.tgz
X312ctrb.tgz  X312fscl.tgz  X312ubin.tgz
X312f100.tgz  X312lib.tgz

What could cause this error message mean?  I'm still somewhat new to Linux
and Unix and am not even sure what a broken pipe is telling me.

Now because of these files which are not completely untarred ELF programs don't
work and give me the following error message:

can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'

And of course this file is not in /usr/X11R6/lib.

And when I start a new xterm window I get this message:

_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

Does anybody know what is going wrong here?  How can I untar these files
without getting the "broken pipe" message?

Thanks for any help,

Amit
--

1. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux and /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux

Hi Linuxers,

I just got a new copy of gcc-2.4.5 and source code of the pl11.
After having done the installation of gcc-2.4.5, I realised that
I have an extra directory: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux.
The question is whether I need to keep the old gcc stuff under
the i386-linux.  I really like to clean it up so as to save 5.1
meg disk space (another poor Linux user  ;-( ).

Your answer is very appreciated.  Please send answer directly
to my address or the corresponding interest parties to reduce
the network load.  Thank you in advance.

Wing

2. Red Hat 6.2 on Compaq Proliant 1000

3. Help - shared libs lib****.so.4 lib***.so.5

4. Apologe

5. Tell "configure" to use /usr/local/lib/sparcv9/ instead of /usr/local/lib/

6. How to write .forward correctly?

7. network libs & opendir libs

8. Is there anywhere to download soloris x86?

9. undefined reference /lib/lib.so.6 (glibc-2.2.3 -> glibc-2.2-9)

10. Utility To Determine Static Libs In An Application (ldd for static libs)

11. mixing g++ libs with CC libs?

12. "lib" this and "lib" that

13. help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??