Metro X 3D

Post by W R Car » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Here is what you seek:
http://www.metrolink.com/productindex.html
I hate to tell you this, but I don't see GL4000 supported, only GL 1000, and
GL 3000.

Regards,
W R Carr

Quote:> Hi,
>     Anyone know what has has happened to the MetroX hardware accelerated
> X server. I tried emailing them and got no reply. There is an
> announcement on their web page from about 10 months ago and then
> nothing. I have just installed an old Diamond Fire GL 4000 OpenGL
> graphics card and support is very limited. Apparently MetroX was going
> to support it.

> Thank in advance

> Ross

Metro X 3D

Post by W R Car » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Ahhhh....but that is still a MetroLink product.  The MetroX server has to be
installed for Extreme 3D to operate.  Go to:

http://www.metrolink.com/productindex.html

Regards,
W R Carr

> Sorry,
>     It's the Extreme 3D product that I am after. The info sheet says that
it
> will support E&S Real Image 1000 chipsets, which is what the FireGL 4000
is. I
> have been keeping an eye on that particular page for a while now and there
> doesn't seem to have been any updates lately. Metro X also support the
Fire GL
> 4000 in a non hardare accelerated mode so I might go for that if nothing
> happens. The problem is that I have always done most of my programming in
Linux
> and now to play around with Open GL I have to use Win NT 4.0, I think it's
> step backwards.

> Ross

> > Here is what you seek:
> > http://www.metrolink.com/productindex.html
> > I hate to tell you this, but I don't see GL4000 supported, only GL 1000,
and
> > GL 3000.

> > Regards,
> > W R Carr

> > > Hi,
> > >     Anyone know what has has happened to the MetroX hardware
accelerated
> > > X server. I tried emailing them and got no reply. There is an
> > > announcement on their web page from about 10 months ago and then
> > > nothing. I have just installed an old Diamond Fire GL 4000 OpenGL
> > > graphics card and support is very limited. Apparently MetroX was going
> > > to support it.

> > > Thank in advance

> > > Ross

Metro X 3D

Post by Ross Hal » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

[...]

and now to play around with Open GL I have to use Win NT 4.0, I think it's a
step backwards.

Ross

> Here is what you seek:
> http://www.metrolink.com/productindex.html
> I hate to tell you this, but I don't see GL4000 supported, only GL 1000, and
> GL 3000.

> Regards,
> W R Carr

> > Hi,
> >     Anyone know what has has happened to the MetroX hardware accelerated
> > X server. I tried emailing them and got no reply. There is an
> > announcement on their web page from about 10 months ago and then
> > nothing. I have just installed an old Diamond Fire GL 4000 OpenGL
> > graphics card and support is very limited. Apparently MetroX was going
> > to support it.

> > Thank in advance

> > Ross

1. Screen size when using XFree/Metro-X with S3/ViRGe 3D

Folks,

The environment is

  HP Pavilion (200MMX, 32MB RAM)
  S3 ViRGe 3D video card with 2MB RAM
  XFree 3.3.1
  Fvwm95-2

  I am starting the X server with startx -- -bpp 8

Result is

  I get a virtual window which is larger than the real screen size
  The real screen size is 1280x1024. I can only verify this by opening
  a window and resizing it horizontally and vertically and then
  observe the numbers change as Fvwm95-2 resizes the window.

  The virtual screen size is greater both horizontally and vertically.
  I think it is 1600x1280 or something like that. And when I quit
  X I see some modeline processing output on the screen which indicates
  that only 6bpp were used.

I would like to

  have a virtual and real screen size of only 1280x1024. At this time
  I am not worried about the number of colors.

What am I doing wrong? How can I achieve the result I want?

Please post if the responses are useful for a wider audience.
Else please email your responses and I will summarize if there
is interest.

Thank you,

PS: What is a good video card for true color (24bpp?) that is well
    supported by Xfree 3.3.1?
    How can such a card be integrated with the HP Pavilion system
    which has its video functionality sitting on its motherboard?

2. Top 10 posters comp.unix.shell

3. STB Velocity 3D and Metro-X

4. NT Server Enterprise vs Linux

5. Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with Metro-X/XFree86 in RedHat 4.0

6. Sockets

7. Problem with Metro-X on ATI 3D XPRESSION

8. FS: Bru-Pro Backup Software

9. diamond stealth 3d 2000 and Metro-X

10. Anyone got ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP display card driver for Metro-X?

11. Hercules Stingray 128/3D support for Metro-X

12. 3D-blaster/trident96xx with Metro-X or Xfree

13. 3D shutter glasses and X windows (3D-MAX)