Matrox Mystique (again)

Post by Vadim Zeitl » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

 I've read this group for awhile and found that Matrox Millenium
is supported in the last release of XFree86. I've even found the
address of Web page of the developper's group but I still don't
understand one thing: is Matrox Mystique supported (it's rather
close to Millenium, isn't it?) and if not I'd like to hear from
people using it with some commercial X implementation, just to
know if it works.

 Thanks,
VZ

P.S. Please, follow-up also by mail as my news feed isn't reliable
     and there are really many messages in this group (I'm impressed...
     may be it's time for Linux to move to alt.* hierarchy? :-)

Matrox Mystique (again)

Post by Neil Matth » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'd like to hear from

Quote:>people using it with some commercial X implementation, just to
>know if it works.

I use a Matrox Mystique with X Inside Accelerated-X 2.1. It's fine.
And fast :)

Regards
Neil

Matrox Mystique (again)

Post by Michael Knigh » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>  I've read this group for awhile and found that Matrox Millenium
> is supported in the last release of XFree86. I've even found the
> address of Web page of the developper's group but I still don't
> understand one thing: is Matrox Mystique supported (it's rather
> close to Millenium, isn't it?) and if not I'd like to hear from
> people using it with some commercial X implementation, just to
> know if it works.

As far as whether the Mystique is supported.....read this *revised*
post:

**************** begin 27th repost******************

For those wondering if their Matrox (MGA) Millenium or Mystique will
work with either Linux or XFree86, here are your up to date answers:

First of all, Linux supports most any (if not all) VGA cards in text
mode.

Second, there is a group of individuals who are currently working on
writing drivers for Matrox cards, starting with the Millenium.  They
have a little support from Matrox on this project.

If you own a Millenium....take a deep breath and relax.  You're all
set to run Xwindows.  Thanks to the group working on drivers, your
Millenium works with XFree86 version 3.2.  This is a new version
so you may need to download it from ftp.x.org.  You need the
SVGA server.  This driver for the Millenium does not take full
advantage of the card's capabilities.  Bare-bones acceleration and
fills.  No 3D stuff yet, but that will come in future driver
releases and fixes.  Overall, response to the new driver seems
very favorable, enough to encourage more work on the driver.

If you own a Mystique.....take a deep breath and scream.  The only
XFree86 server that works with the Mystique is the VGA16 server.
That means you can run at 640x480 with 16 colors.  I do this now,
although I believe people have reported getting it to work at
800x600 with 16 colors.  But there may be a few options for you.
Read on.

If work on the Millenium is satisfactory, Matrox may donate a couple
of Mystiques for development of a driver.  If you want the most
up-to-date information on this project, you should check:

http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

Matrox is coming around, we just need to push harder.

Finally, if you are unsatisfied with the Millenium's driver perf-
ormance under XFree86 (what do you want, its free!), you have the
option of purchasing a commercial Xserver.  These two vendors below
support the Millenium.

1. Metro-X by Metrolink (www.metrolink.com)
2. Accelerated-X by XInside (www.xinside.com)

Commercial X-servers support the Mystique too.  Accelerated-X
(www.xinside.com) supports the Mystique.

There may be other commercial xservers out there, but these two I've
checked on personally.  If you purchase the *Official* Redhat 4.0
from a vendor, it includes the Metro-X xserver and *should* have
support for Milleniums.

Personally, I've had a good 2+ years experience with XFree86, and I
like their stuff, as well as their policies regarding proprietary
stuff.  I'm gonna limp by with the VGA16 server and wait.  If you
haven't yet bought a Mystique, write Matrox and tell them you
*wanted* to by their card, but that it wasn't supported by XFree86,
so you bought someone else's card.
************************end 27th repost******************

Michael David Knight           God wanted man                  \    /
Gulfstream Aerospace           to fly, that's          _________-/\-_________
Georgia Tech Aerospace         why he invented                 \_\/_/

1. Matrox Mystique ... again

Hi,

**** Help with 800x600 ****

my name's Stefan and I've recently bought a new Computer
with a Matrox Mystique in it.
I know, that the Mystique will be supported with the next release
of XF86. Therefore I've tried to get at least the 800x600
resolution described in Jean-loup Gailly's Mystique Page.
All went well up to the point, where I ran X -probeonly.
It produced a clock value matching that one got by win95.
The I tried with the modline computed as described in the
article posted by Lubor Dedina on this list some time ago
(this one was also mentioned in Jean-loup's page).

Right now I got a problem. The display goes blank and nothing
happens. My keystrokes are correctly passed on to the xterm
my pointer is on (or should be). This I can verify by
switching back to 640x480--Mode.
No error's are printed on the virtual screen I started the
Xserver. There are only the standard messages about Fonts,
Pointer, PEX ...

Is there anybody, who had a similar problem and solved
it. Would be nice to hear from you.

Post right here or mail to me directly.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
        Stefan.
Stefan M. Petters  Lab. for Process Control & Realtime Systems TU-Munich  -ooo
Arcisstr. 21       Tel: ++49/89-2892-3556                                --oooo
80290 Muenchen     Fax: ++49/89-2892-3555                                ----oo

2. RADIUS server

3. Help with Matrox Mystique (not Matrox Mystique 220)

4. Newbie needs help with a simple Mod_Rewrite

5. XFree86, with Matrox Mystique: some clients fail

6. Solaris 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade woes

7. XFree86 3.2 driver/module for Matrox Mystique 4MB

8. Voodoo3 PCI drivers and XFree86 3-3-3.3 ?

9. matrox mystique MGA G200 AGP

10. Matrox Mystique and XFree86

11. Matrox Mystique and Xfree86 Setup!!

12. Matrox Mystique Graphics Card and Slackware Linux

13. Matrox Mystique flickers when resizing window