What graphic card is accelerated?

Post by Matthias Da » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

]\ Hello everyone! /[

I'm going to buy a new graphic card this July, because I'm pretty much
tired of my old Mach64 one with 1 MB - even if it worked fine for the
last two years, but using X with 800x600 (16 bit color depth) isn't much
fun... :-)

about that yet. Is this card accelerated by X? Does it make use of the
cards rage pro chip for acceleration?

What card is by far the best one (fast, accelerated, reliable and not too
expensive) to use with XFree86?

Thanks for every help I get in advance. :)

P.S. What's the difference between the ATI support in the SVGA driver and
     the Mach64 one? Just wondering... <g>

--

]\ PGP Key: www.nights.ddns.org/pkey.asc |         Powered by LINUX
]\   ->-( DEEP DIMENSION PROJECT )-<-    |  THE CHOICE OF A GNU GENERATION

What graphic card is accelerated?

Post by s.. » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> ]\ Hello everyone! /[

> I'm going to buy a new graphic card this July, because I'm pretty much
> tired of my old Mach64 one with 1 MB - even if it worked fine for the
> last two years, but using X with 800x600 (16 bit color depth) isn't much
> fun... :-)

  ya , by the way , what is the size of ur monitor ? 15" 17" ?

> about that yet. Is this card accelerated by X? Does it make use of the
> cards rage pro chip for acceleration?

  3.3.2.2 !

Quote:

> What card is by far the best one (fast, accelerated, reliable and not too
> expensive) to use with XFree86?

  Take more research on Milleninum II <------- Best for 2D
                        Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro <------- Best for all ( I think )

Quote:> Thanks for every help I get in advance. :)

> P.S. What's the difference between the ATI support in the SVGA driver and
>      the Mach64 one? Just wondering... <g>

--
-----------------------------------
DinosauR MinG - Crazy LinuZer {*_*}

What graphic card is accelerated?

Post by Walter Rawdani » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Matrox Mystique is quite fast ( Millenium even better and much more
expensive too :-) )

Walter

----------------------

> ]\ PGP Key: www.nights.ddns.org/pkey.asc |         Powered by LINUX
> ]\   ->-( DEEP DIMENSION PROJECT )-<-    |  THE CHOICE OF A GNU
GENERATION
> ]\  ]-] http://www.nights.ddns.org/ [-[  |  ----------------- 2.0.34pre15
]

/[

Post by Laurent Desnogue » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> about that yet. Is this card accelerated by X? Does it make use of the
> cards rage pro chip for acceleration?

   That card is accelerated by using both CRTC and
2D draw engine.  Take the Mach64 Xserver from the
XFree 3.3.2 (or later?) release.

Quote:> P.S. What's the difference between the ATI support in the SVGA driver and
>      the Mach64 one? Just wondering... <g>

   Use of 2D draw engine.

                Laurent

1. Newbie: How do I tell if my graphics card is accelerated?

Hi,

I installed redhat6.1 on a system with a viper 330 graphics
card and also on a system with a RIVA TNT2 (creative blaster
ultra).

In both cases the 2D performance is disappointing; scrolling and
movement of windows is choppy and sluggish compared to when these
systems run NT. Also, its seems that many fonts in websites
appear "rough and ragged" compared to the same viewed from a browser
in NT.

The X server that is running these cards is XF86_SVGA. Does that
mean that the server is NOT using the 2D acceleration features of
the card?

How can I get better performance from these cards? Is it possible
to buy an x server that does better? How can I tell if any x server
really will do better? The xfree86 supported card list just states the
card model and which X-server it uses, this tells a newbie absolutely
NOTHING about which cards will give good performance.

<RANT>
Why does the xfree96 FAQ refuse to say which cards are fast and
which are slow? They say that measurements of graphics performance
cannot be reduced to a set of numbers and any performance judgments
are subjective. Thats just great, xfree86, shoot yourself and linux
in the foot.

People spend a lot of money on graphics cards, and hardware
manufacturers are in intense competition to deliver even incremental
performance enhancements. Xfree86 is really putting themselves out
of the loop by making performance a non-issue. While it is great that
cards from 1995 are supported and that new cards are being added all
the time, it is frustrating to not have any answer to the question
of which cards will suck and which will be good.

I assert it is possible to review cards and to rate their 2D
performance under x servers. Is this subjective? Yes, maybe to Spock
from the planet Vulcan, but the rest of us will be happy to know
which cards to avoid and which to seek out.

Furthermore, the very act of announcing that a particular card gives
good performance will cause people to buy it, and be happy with their
linux experience. It will also encourage hardware vendors to cooperate
more with the linux movement (if it is clear that more cards will be
sold).

</rant>

That said, which card and x-server combinations give performance
that is excellent? By performance I mean, which cards will have
smooth scrolling and motion? I hear that there will be support
for acceleration in some the newer ATI cards. Does this mean that
the ATI cards will work as well in Linux as they do in NT?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Post mortem heap analysis from core?

3. OAK graphics card - accelerated?

4. HELP !!! Need help for VIRUS scan !!!

5. Accelerated graphics card for OpenGL

6. Awk and shell variables

7. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

8. Recursive grep

9. Which accelerated card video card to buy ?

10. FS: Xi Graphics Laptop Accelerated-X and Dextop v2.1, and more...

11. Radeon 7500 AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port)

12. Xi Graphics Accelerated-X 4.1 for Laptop

13. No HW accelerated 3D graphics w/Linux?