What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

Post by Richmond Chon » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

Richmond.

Post by Ashwin Biha » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

Requirements vary depending on what you plan on doing with it..the better way
of getting your answer would be tell us what you exactly have and we can tell
you whether Linux will run on it or not..but seeing as Linux can run on 286's
with like 4 MEGS of ram, I think it will run on ANY computer..with a decent
amount of HD space and even then you can work around small HD's nad get a
workable Linux installation with little or no problems..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The address above has the words NOSPAM, to stop just that, please     |
|       reply to the address in this box, if you have to at all!              |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Post by David L. Johnso » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> > What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

> Requirements vary depending on what you plan on doing with it..the better way
> of getting your answer would be tell us what you exactly have and we can tell
> you whether Linux will run on it or not..but seeing as Linux can run on 286's
> with like 4 MEGS of ram, I think it will run on ANY computer..with a decent
> amount of HD space and even then you can work around small HD's nad get a
> workable Linux installation with little or no problems..Regards

Well, not quite.  There is/was a project to get a very restricted linux to run
on a 286, but a "real" linux does require a 386 at least.  It can, however,
run on 2 megs of ram, though I doubt that any of the packages can still be
installed with that little ram.

I used it fairly well on my laptop, a 486SX/25 with 4 megs RAM and 84 megs of
hard drive.  I have since gotten more memory, and am planning to replace the
drive so I can fit more on the machine, but I can do productive work on it.
Graphics are a leetle slow....

--

Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

Post by Will Low » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

> but seeing as Linux can run on 286's

Linux _CANNOT_ run on an intel 286.  The 286 doesn't support
ring-switching and has no protected mode.  Linux uses 386 instructions
which the 286 can't understand The kernel will compile, at
bare minimum,  on a 386sx.

                                                Will

                         http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/

Post by Nix » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

> Requirements vary depending on what you plan on doing with it..the better way
> of getting your answer would be tell us what you exactly have and we can tell
> you whether Linux will run on it or not..but seeing as Linux can run
> on 286's

YM '386's'. 386 is the absolute minimum; the 286's protected mode
support is frankly crippled, it doesn't have V86 mode, 32-bit
registers, &c &c...

but it'll run on a 4Mb 386, no trouble.

X needs 8Mb and plenty of swap for a usable system.

--
In theory, this is a .sig.
In practice, it's too new to be one of those. Call it a .siglet.

Post by David Magg » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

CF>What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

Richmond,
CPU: 386+
RAM: 4 megs+
Hard drive space: 20 megs for a basic install; 100-150 megs with
X (windows) plus room to install some additional programs.
Video: Monochrome+ w/o X; SVGA w/X
Hope this helps.
David

 * OLX 2.1 * Has anyone seen my little dog, Toto?

1. New to LINUX, minimum hardware requirements...

I am a new LINUX user, and I would like to get a machine just to play
with it.  I was wondering if someone could advice me on the minimum
hardware requirements with which the newest RedHat Linux would run at
a fairly good speed (considering that my only interest is to play with
it), and if you know of where to get a good price for it, I'll thank
that info too.  Also, if you know of a better Linux system than
RedHat, your advice would be appreciated.

2. remote launch of X and xinit

3. Linux hardware- whats the minimum requirements??

4. va_start error compiling nntp1.5.12.1 on Solaris 2.4 with gcc 2.7.0

5. Minimum Hardware requirement for Solaris 8

6. Memory/Machine requirements fot HTTP server

7. What is the minimum hardware requirements to install Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC?

8. Plug and Play Modem

9. minimum hardware requirements

10. Hardware minimum requirements

11. Somewhat Off-Topic -- Hefty Minimum MS Office 2000 Hardware Requirements/Bloatware At Its Best (Worst?)

12. What is the minimum hardware requirement for installing and running solaris 10?

13. Q: minimum hardware requirement