Why 6bpp not 8bpp???

Post by Stefan Magdalinsk » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Why if you start your S3 (maybe others too) Server in 8bpp, does it say:

'using 6 bits per RGB value'

What's going on? and how do you force it to 8bpp?
--

Stefan Magdalinski - I&I

"[History] has been a series of transitions, by which one custom after
another ...has passed into the rank of a universally stigmatised
injustice and tyranny. So it has been with the distinction of slaves
and freemen, nobles and serfs, patricians and plebians; and so it will
be ... with the aristocracies of colour, race, and sex"
- John Stuart Mill (1861)

1. Why 6bpp not 8bpp???

are you sure? it's a stealth64 which can do 24 bit if you've lower the
res enough. surely that's 3x8bits. I understand the difference between
the palette size and the bits per pixel though.

Stefan Magdalinski - I&I

"[History] has been a series of transitions, by which one custom after
another ...has passed into the rank of a universally stigmatised
injustice and tyranny. So it has been with the distinction of slaves
and freemen, nobles and serfs, patricians and plebians; and so it will
be ... with the aristocracies of colour, race, and sex"
- John Stuart Mill (1861)

2. Subshells

3. S3 6bpp -> 8bpp ?

4. 3c905 ethernet card help please!

5. Why my Sis620 can only support 8bpp

6. All purpose printers?

7. Why 8bpp in X?

8. mutex-lib

9. how do I tell remote app that i want 8bpp, not 32bpp

10. 6bpp on Diamond Stealth 64D

11. Why I did not catch SIGHUP (and why my face is red)

12. Why use lock files ? Why not semaphores ?

13. Why ECGS, why not the one from GNU