dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

Post by Konstantin Tsoko » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

My boss gave me a nearly 900 MB dd-file on tape with hundreds of files
in it. He needs some of these Files out of this "archive".  I am not
very familiar with the dd command, because i usualy use cpio for
generating tape archives.
After a quick look at the man pages for dd, i managed copying this file
on my hard disk, but its still a single big file.

Is it possible to extract single files out of this dd-file with standard

UNIX commands (or LINUX commands) or do i have to write filters to
extract them, or do i think too weird?

Please help me if you have any idea.

dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

Post by Stefaan A Eecke » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> My boss gave me a nearly 900 MB dd-file on tape with hundreds of files
> in it. He needs some of these Files out of this "archive".  I am not
> very familiar with the dd command, because i usualy use cpio for
> generating tape archives.
> After a quick look at the man pages for dd, i managed copying this file
> on my hard disk, but its still a single big file.

> Is it possible to extract single files out of this dd-file with standard

> UNIX commands (or LINUX commands) or do i have to write filters to
> extract them, or do i think too weird?

dd is a dump of a device. It basically writes blocks to a file,
or any other file-like object (which in UNIX is almost everything).
Thus, saying that you have a 'dd archive' doesn't give any
information *at all*. You need to know the type of file system
that was dumped using dd. Once you know that, you can either
restore it to an empty partition, then mount it as any other
file system, or you could use the Linux loop device to mount
the image as a file system.

Using tar or cpio is indeed a much better way to make tape
archives!

--
Stefaan
--

PGP key available from PGP key servers (http://www.pgp.net/pgpnet/)
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add,

1. Changing all date fields from mm/dd/yy to dd/mm/yy

Please, I'm looking for a way to change all date fields in a specified
file, like this:

solaris> cat file

05/23/06      03/12/06

07/10/06                   11/12/06           09/20/06

      03/11/06

I need change all date field from mm/dd/yy to dd/mm/yy, like this:

solaris> ./script < cat file

23/05/06        12/03/06

10/07/06                 12/11/06             20/09/06

       11/03/06

Thanks !

2. Kernel 2.2.11 (modules) Compilation Failed Usig gcc-2.95

3. dd | remsh dd under AIX 1.2

4. Linux sites dropping like flies

5. To dd or not to dd that is the question!

6. netbsd 1.4.2

7. Simple Question - command to extract file from foo.tar.Z file

8. Making a Solaris package?

9. extracting YYYY-MM-DD from string

10. End-of-file marker using dd

11. Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk

12. dd to restore file system?

13. How do I get the DD MMM YYYY of a file in ksh ?