Install SWiM Motif

Post by John Osbor » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Okay, I'm totally stumped... I can't get Motif installed. The biggest
: prolem seems to be in building mwm. When I try to make mwm, make (not
: gcc... which is another thing that has me stumped) complains about an
:
: Any commercial or private email messages not related to music, pro-audio,
: or computer programming will be considered as unsolicited. Your postmaster
: WILL be notified.
:

I don't know about rebuilding Motif, but I had some problems when I
installed SWiM Motif myself, the problem being that mwm couldn't start
because it couldn't find a library in a certain spot( I forget what the
name of the library was).  Needless to say, all I did was look for the
library, and make a symlink to where mwm was looking for it.

Hope this helps.
John
osborne6 (at) acm (dot) msu (dot) edu

Install SWiM Motif

Post by Joe Ciarc » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I don't know about rebuilding Motif, but I had some problems when I
> installed SWiM Motif myself, the problem being that mwm couldn't start
> because it couldn't find a library in a certain spot( I forget what the
> name of the library was).  Needless to say, all I did was look for the
> library, and make a symlink to where mwm was looking for it.

> Hope this helps.
> John
> osborne6 (at) acm (dot) msu (dot) edu

Thanks for the info, I've had mwm working in the past. This has nothing to
do with a missing lib. I'm getting a compiler error when I try to make mwm
and it has something to do with crt1.o. It'll work fine if I install
Slackware v2.2, but with the libs and object files contained in Slackware
v3.2 I can't get mwm to compile. I've seen other people (tying to compile
different software) making references to the exact same error.

C ya, Joe

--
        http://www.thecia.net/users/analog

        When the only tool you have is a hammer,
        everything begins to look like a nail.

        -Lotfi Zadeh

 email:  analog at thecia dot net

Any commercial or private email messages not related to music, pro-audio,
or computer programming will be considered as unsolicited. Your postmaster
WILL be notified.

1. SWiM Motif 2.0 Install question

I've installed "Official" Red Hat Linux 3.0.3, which puts
X in /usr/X11R6.

Now I would like to install SWiM Motif 2.0, but the installation
notes tell me to install in under /usr/x386 (which I don't have)

The "Install" script on the CD (under /SWiM/Linux/distribution/RevD)
also looks for a directory called /usr/x386

My questions:
        1) should I create a directory called /usr/x386 and link
it to /usr/X11R6 ?
                -- if so, should the link be symbolic or not?
                -- do I need to create subdirectories under
                   /usr/x386 and link them to the subdirectories
                   under /usr/X11R6 or is the top level link
                   alone good enough?
        or
        2) can I just edit the "Install" script by changing every
reference from /usr/x386 to /usr/X11R6 (which intuitively seems to
be the wiser thing to do)

Also, using ln -s [source] [target], is my new /usr/x386 directory the
"source" or the "target"?

Many thanks for any answer(s) to the above.

Matthew W. Woodruff

Fax: (212) 888-3033
Tel: (212) 888-0255

2. Talking to a QuickAccess Remote with cu

3. Installing SWiM release of Motif

4. What is wrong with telnet?

5. Swim motif experiences?

6. Restrict shell on AIX?

7. SWiM Motif compilation and link problems.

8. sh -m

9. I am wanting a SWiM motif

10. SWiM Motif and Linux Problems?

11. SWiM Motif 2.0 on Linux 2.0.18 & XFree 3.1.2G (ELF)???

12. Motif - SWIM or Metro Link?

13. Motif SWIM for linux ?