Q:How to get rid of task bar on bottom?

Post by June Seek Ch » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

This might be a stupid question but I like to remove the status bar on
the bottom of X because I use small monitor and like to use every
possible space. I looked at X menu and tried everything but nothing seems
to work. Anybody has done this? Even Windows can do that?!

Thanks in advance. June

Q:How to get rid of task bar on bottom?

Post by Mickey Stei » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
  I'm pretty sure that not all of the window managers even have a taskbar on
the bottom. Probably the old motif window manager just has minimized or
maximized icons. That might not be true but it could be worth a shot.

   All the newer win9x-lookalike ones like kde or fvwm2 probably have
taskbars and I'm not sure what config or startup cmd needs not to be
executed.

          mick

> This might be a stupid question but I like to remove the status bar on
> the bottom of X because I use small monitor and like to use every
> possible space. I looked at X menu and tried everything but nothing seems
> to work. Anybody has done this? Even Windows can do that?!

> Thanks in advance. June

Q:How to get rid of task bar on bottom?

Post by kNIGit » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi June.

You could use KDE.  It *definitely* has an option to auto-hide both the
panel and the taskbar.

Tony

--
No Micro$oft programs were used in the creation of this message.
If you are using a Micro$oft program to view this message, I am

Remove "meup" from my address to reply.

Q:How to get rid of task bar on bottom?

Post by Matt Willi » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I take it that you are using fvwm95 as your window manager. Try another
one. I suggest you *avoid* MWM - you'll find the mouse focus isn't what
you're used to. I am very happy with WindowMaker. I had to compile it
myself but it wasn't particularly hard.

There are at least 10, maybe 20 alternate window managers. They all
look a little different. Some have a status bar, but most do not.

Anyway, you can try this too. Type xkill, and your mouse cursor turns
into a kill button. Click on the button bar. Poof! It's gone.

- Matt

> This might be a stupid question but I like to remove the status bar on
> the bottom of X because I use small monitor and like to use every
> possible space. I looked at X menu and tried everything but nothing seems
> to work. Anybody has done this? Even Windows can do that?!

> Thanks in advance. June

Q:How to get rid of task bar on bottom?

Post by June Seek Ch » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the replies-I will try KDE.

I like your signature. June

: --
:

Post by JACK » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Thanks for the replies-I will try KDE.

>I like your signature. June

thats the most original pick up line i have heard. ~(_8^(l)

1. Lost task bar at bottom of Gnome desktop

I have RH 7 with Gnome. I clicked something that removed the Netscape icon
button and all of the task bars at the bottom of the screen. It even warned
me before I said OK but I didn't understand it would take this action and
for some reason I thought it was what I needed at the time to fix something
else...
Can I get it back like it was?  Possibly I  need to reinstall Gnome?...If so
can anyone point me in the right direction?

 I need Netscape especially, and I don't know how to launch it without the
desktop button. Thanks.

2. SCSI speed on Solaris 2.3?

3. Hiding the bottom task bar in TheNextStep

4. Typical error rates of 100 Mbit ethernet?

5. Ignoring tasks by task bar

6. Printers under Linux

7. Getting mini icon on task bar entries

8. Cannot get a wlan ad-hoc connection to work

9. Getting rid of RedHat icons from title-bar?

10. Cirrus Logic 6235 & fvwm92 - bottom bar is scrambled

11. disabling/hiding Netscape bottom bar features

12. Gnome + Task bar + Short cuts...