What AGP Card for X-Windows with Linux?

Post by Dale Neidhamme » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

OK, I screwed up and bought a Diamond Stealth II G460 card.  So, I can
take it back and get....
what?  I need a good high perfromance card for my wife to use with
Windoze98, but I want to
be able to dual boot to Linux for obvious reasons.  So, I am looking to
you all for help with just
which card to get.  I tend to lean towards STB cards because they are
headquartered about 3
miles from home.  Any of their cards worth a hoot?

Also, I am trying to get X running on my Compaq notebook.  The machine
uses a Neomagic 128
graphics chipset.  Already been to their page and they recommend that I
buy an X server from Xig.
Any feedback that I can get on where else to look would be appreciated.

TIA.

Dale Neidhammer

What AGP Card for X-Windows with Linux?

Post by Jim Ros » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I use a STB Velocity 128 (nRiva 128 chipset) 8MB ram ?? with win95/NT/RH
Linux 5.1 no problem.  Also it is an AGP.  Not the most cutting edge but I
think it's only $99 now.  I run X at 1024x768x32bpp color.  Jim