Switching colour depth when using xdm

Post by Yon Han CHON » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have just set up xdm and xlogin and it works fine.

My problem is that how can I change colour depth of X window? When I was
using
startx command I can give -bpp 16 if I want higher colour depth but now
I don't know
how. We have a program which only runs on bit colour then again netscape
look
much nicer with colour depth 16. I would be great to restart the X
window with different
colour depth.

Thanks in advance.

Yon Han Chong                     |
Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext. 5420

Cranfield University              | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149
United Kingdom                    | Mobile: + 44 958 381 395

Post by Karl Garriso » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I have just set up xdm and xlogin and it works fine.

> My problem is that how can I change colour depth of X window? When I
> was using
> startx command I can give -bpp 16 if I want higher colour depth but
> now I don't know
> how. We have a program which only runs on bit colour then again
> netscape look
> much nicer with colour depth 16. I would be great to restart the X
> window with different
> colour depth.

Add a line to the screen section of your XF86Config file that
corresponds to the server you use: "DefaultColorDepth 16".  Just as an
example, below is the screen section in my XF86Config file, just so you
can see where the line goes:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
    #Device      "Generic VGA"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "NEC MultiSync 3FGx"
    BlankTime 0
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1024 768
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     640 480
    EndSubsection
EndSection

--
Karl Garrison

1. Using different XDM/X colour depths

I started using XDM recently in conjunction with XBanner. Is there a
way to force XDM to start in 8bpp, yet start the X server in 16 bpp? I
have played with all the config files for both X and XDM. I can get
XDM to start in any depth I want, but it carries over to X once the
server launches.  I'm assuming this is becaues the Xserver is actually
running the XDM app. In short, what I want is this: XDM in 8bpp, X in
24bpp. Any ideas?

---
Corwin J. Grey

2. What is duplicated by fork() ?

3. Default color depth when using xdm

4. inet svcs. hosed...please help

5. Switching Color Depth & Refresh in Xwindows

6. Can I create Fat16 or Fat32 FS from linux

7. XDM Color Depth Configuration

8. Network card advice needed

9. RH5.2, xdm, setting color depth

10. Change color depth for xdm/KDE on Solaris??

11. CTRL-ALT-+ : unexpected results switching color depths

12. selectin colour depth with xdm login

13. xdm, kdm colour depth Banshee??