Gnome desktop - missing main menu, everything......help

Gnome desktop - missing main menu, everything......help

Post by Adam Ross » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am running RH6. I have been messing around with gnome and enlightenment
and have somehow managed to remove all panels from my desktop. It is just a
background. I can middle-click on the background and get some
gnome/enlightenment config applets, application/utilities menues, etc. How
do I get the gnome main menu, or how do I revert to the default gnome
desktop? Thanks for your help.

Gnome desktop - missing main menu, everything......help

Post by Dan » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Don't mess when u are root.

> I am running RH6. I have been messing around with gnome and enlightenment
> and have somehow managed to remove all panels from my desktop. It is just a
> background. I can middle-click on the background and get some
> gnome/enlightenment config applets, application/utilities menues, etc. How
> do I get the gnome main menu, or how do I revert to the default gnome
> desktop? Thanks for your help.

Gnome desktop - missing main menu, everything......help

Post by Shawn Walke » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm having that EXACT same problem!  But I'm not in root!  I logged in with my user id and I can see my panel, I didn't add another or remove any applets from the panel.  I logged out, then I logged back in and my panel is missing!  I have to recreate the panel which is pain to do that every 2 - 3 days.  If I cannot fix this problem, I might switch to KDE.

> Don't mess when u are root.

> > I am running RH6. I have been messing around with gnome and enlightenment
> > and have somehow managed to remove all panels from my desktop. It is just a
> > background. I can middle-click on the background and get some
> > gnome/enlightenment config applets, application/utilities menues, etc. How
> > do I get the gnome main menu, or how do I revert to the default gnome
> > desktop? Thanks for your help.

Gnome desktop - missing main menu, everything......help

Post by Ryan Thompso » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hold down <ctrl><shift> when gnome is starting up, this allows you to get old setup back.
I still don't know how to resolve this issue though, my panel and icons come up, but very slowly.  If this happens, I am upable to logout of gnome and i have to switch back to the console and reboot.

> I'm having that EXACT same problem!  But I'm not in root!  I logged in with my user id and I can see my panel, I didn't add another or remove any applets from the panel.  I logged out, then I logged back in and my panel is missing!  I have to recreate the panel which is pain to do that every 2 - 3 days.  If I cannot fix this problem, I might switch to KDE.

> > Don't mess when u are root.

> > > I am running RH6. I have been messing around with gnome and enlightenment
> > > and have somehow managed to remove all panels from my desktop. It is just a
> > > background. I can middle-click on the background and get some
> > > gnome/enlightenment config applets, application/utilities menues, etc. How
> > > do I get the gnome main menu, or how do I revert to the default gnome
> > > desktop? Thanks for your help.

1. Gnome Panel sub-menu Popup time in main menu

I have just installed Mandrake 8.0 with Gnome and I have a question
about the main menu in the gnome panel. When I pass the mouse over a
sub-menu, this sub-menu appears immediatly. This is annoying when I
want to access the top sub-menu item since I have to see all the
others appearing and dissappearing quite rapidly. Is there any way to
slow down the "time to appeareance" of the menu lists? Or can I simply
set it so that I have to click on a sub-menu to see its content? I
have read the gnome-panel help files, and I have tried to configure it
via the gnome control panel without success.

The gnome panel version is 1.4.0.2

Thanks!

2. Ask for the number of running threads in a process

3. no gnome main menu with gnome and tcsh at suse 7.2

4. tokenring

5. no gnome main menu with tcsh

6. ErrorDocument 500

7. Main menu bar in GNOME disappear!

8. Moving NIS+ Master

9. gnome main menu gone?

10. Getting a key to open the main menu in gnome?

11. Why are there items in main menu that cant be removed in menu editor?

12. Gnome/enlightement desktop popup menus

13. Gnome Desktop Status Bar Missing