Mouse problem in X --- HELP!

Post by Yung-chien L » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I get "Warning: unable to get status of mouse fd (invalid argument)"
message when "startx".  Does anyone know what is it?  I can see the
mouse cursor but it just won't follow my movement.

It used to work the first time I put the Linux box on the machine.
I get this message after I recompiled the kernel to get the ATAPI
cdrom to work.  The message slways there even I repartition and
re-installed the Linux using the same procedures that I used first
time.  I've tried different kernels (1.2.8 to 1.3.5), XFree3.1.2,
and 3.1.1, message still there.  Please HELP me if you know why.
(or ANY suggestion)

The hardware: GW2000 P-120 with ATI Mach64 2MB and GW Vivitron17
              Adaptec 2940 SCSI with 2GB, 3c509 ethernet card.
              PS/2 style MS mouse.
I've install SLackware 2.3.0 with different kernels (1.2.8, 1.2.10,
1.2.11, 1.3.5).  The /dev/mouse is pointing to /dev/psaux.

Thanks for your time.

yclee

1. Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

Greetings,

First of all, I have retrieved the Busmouse-HOWTO and actually read it.
I have verified that my old Microsoft 2 button inport bus mouse is at
irq5.  I do have a file /dev/mouse linked to /dev/inportbm.  I have
played with and modified XF86Config per the aforementioned HOWTO.  I
can run X with the same hardware with my ISC Unix 3.2 and X.  And I
cannot get any result from running 'startx' with slackware Linux other
than 'cannot open mouse, no such file or directory.  If anyone has the
'no brainer' answer to this problem PLEASE pass it along.  I would even
be gratefull for the answer with an accompanying flame if it makes you
feel better. :-)  Thanks for any input you can offer.

Michael :-)

2. Which Sensors are on my MB [gigabyte GA-5AX rev 5.2]

4. Appletalk. A simple question.

5. New HOWTO....HOWTO-Hose-RedHat-Installation (help!)

6. XP finally reveals it true colors!!!

7. Need Help on setting up getty for dial-ins

8. Linux PPP/PPTP Speed Tweaks

9. HELP WITH DIAL INS

10. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help

11. Netscape 4.51 and plug-ins problem

12. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

13. Netscape plug-ins problem