Help: Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 w/ XFree86 3.3.2

Help: Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 w/ XFree86 3.3.2

Post by Jason Dufa » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have probably spent over 24 total hours on this one and am out of
ideas.  Please help.

System: PII/300 440LX 96MB DRAM IDE HD/CDROM
Linux: 2.0.0, Slackware dist.
XFree86: 3.3.2
Vid card: Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 - S3 ViRGE/VX(86C988), 2MB RAM

I am able to use the VGA16 X server OK - tested with twm.  When I try
to use the S3V server, I lock up when the first window is being drawn
(or the menu if I launch no apps).  When I use the SVGA server, I lock
up with a black and white stripe pattern on my monitor that looks like
I'm viewing a hunk of memory somewhere.

I've read every HOWTO and README.  I've tried _dozens_ of configs
(with and without using XF86Setup and xf86config), including "noaccel"
and many others.  I've recompiled the kernel with and without APM.
I've tried everything I could find on DejaNews from this NG and
others.  Regardless of the settings, I always get the above symptoms.
While I am a bit of a newbie, I have set up X on my other machine and
it works well (Cirrus Logic).

Does anyone have a similar system with the 3D 3000 working?  Any
advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Jason the strung-out

1. Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86

If your having problems with the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the
Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86, please read.

It's the "pro" part of you Stealth 3d 2000 that is giving you the
problem. It's designed for video in addition to regular display. This is
also a problem with many of the Stealth 3d 3000 cards(but not all). The
fix is to cut it back to 16bpp. You see, at 24bpp and 32bpp, the Stealth
3000 needs a special driver that handles the mpeg/avi video acceleration
features of these cards. But not at 16bpp.

Sometimes you can get away with running the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 pro,
and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000 at 24bpp and 32bpp. But chances are
you'll get the following problems:

XF_s3V server: lockups when user exits window manager, screen turns neon
lime green or red(other colors also reported, but these two are the most
common). However, this server works fine at 16bpp.

XF_SVGA server: works great, but acceleration at 24bpp or 32 bpp is not
complete!!!!! Boot up Netscape and you will see what I mean. The buttons
on Navigator will be in black&white.

These problems do not effect the Stealth 3d 2000 "classic", just the
Stealth 3d 2000 Pro and the Stealth 3d 3000 series cards.

Carter

2. Q: any good gui based find program?

3. XFree86 + Diamond Stealth 3d 3000

4. Compiling/Lib error

5. XFREE86 3.3 & Diamond Stealth 3d 3000 vram 4meg

6. problem compiling kernel, objdump gives error!! please help

7. help : Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 Series

8. Bash/shell programming + gui

9. HELP: Diamond Stealth 3D 3000

10. Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 /w 4 megs... HELP!!!

11. Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 Help!

12. Help: Xfree86 and Diamond 3D 3000

13. Diamond Stealth 3d 3000