Hercules mono-graphics card, TinyX and the Missing VC's

Hercules mono-graphics card, TinyX and the Missing VC's

Post by Arno Brevoo » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
I was helping a friend out this weekend trying to get X working on his
computer. Monetary problems limit his configuration to a 486-25Mhz with 4
MB RAM, enough harddisk space and a Hercules (mono) videocard. Yes, the
one that does 720x348, monochrome. We did get it working without even too
much trashing of the harddisk, using tinyX. (tinyX-mono-1.3.tar.gz from
funet, Linux kernel 1.3.45)
Now, one thing is remaining on the wish list... virtual console
switching. It doesn't currently work, just a black screen when I switch
to a different console. The X screen is still proper working when I
switch back. Also, on exiting X the screen is not properly reset so all
that remains is this black screen. Is there a way to reset this and get
proper VC switching?
I browsed through the FAQs and couldn't find it in there. Has anybody got
this working before?
Arno Brevoort

Everything said above comes from my brain, not my employers'.

Post by roo » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

 :
 : I was helping a friend out this weekend trying to get X working on his
 : computer. Monetary problems limit his configuration to a 486-25Mhz with 4
 : MB RAM, enough harddisk space and a Hercules (mono) videocard. Yes, the
 : one that does 720x348, monochrome. We did get it working without even too
 : much trashing of the harddisk, using tinyX. (tinyX-mono-1.3.tar.gz from
 : funet, Linux kernel 1.3.45)

I call this bravery.

 : Now, one thing is remaining on the wish list... virtual console
 : switching. It doesn't currently work, just a black screen when I switch
 : to a different console. The X screen is still proper working when I
 : switch back. Also, on exiting X the screen is not properly reset so all
 : that remains is this black screen. Is there a way to reset this and get
 : proper VC switching?

I think this is a feature, not a bug.  Switching from graphics mode to
text mode and back may work for a jpeg viewer like zgv, but it is too
complicated for something as fragile as XF86.  (I have the bloated version,
and it doesn't switch between consoles, either.)

Post by Micheal Stanl » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I think this is a feature, not a bug.  Switching from graphics mode to
: text mode and back may work for a jpeg viewer like zgv, but it is too
: complicated for something as fragile as XF86.  (I have the bloated version,
: and it doesn't switch between consoles, either.)

What?  Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean, but I switch from a graphics
mode console, to a text mode console, and then back to a graphics mode
console ALL the time, IN X.

Right now I am a console using X.  I pressed CTRL+ALT+F4 to bring up
text mode console.  I logged in, and then pressed CTRL+ALT+F3 and I'm
back in this X session.  I believe you can even have more than one
X session in different consoles, and switch between them.  I could be
wrong about that, but it seems like I've done that before.

I had a problem doing it at first, but since I've been using xdm, I have
no problem with it.  Lets see, I think you have to change one of the
rc files (rc.local?), been a while.

Michael

1. XF86 Mono + Hercules Mono card ?

Hi All,

I have a 486DX/2-66 with a Hercules mono card running
Linux (kernel 2.0.30).  According to the packaging
(S.u.s.e. 5.0) it appears to support the card but
when I try to 'startx' it chucks out all the monitor
definitions and then aborts because it can't find
one that fits !.  XF86config has configured X to use
XF86mono.  XF86setup doesn't work because it wants
to use the 16 colour VGA X server.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this works and if it
does what the appropriate entries are.

The reason I'm asking is that some packages won't
install without X and I thought if it is supported
then you might as well see if it works.

Before anyone says that monitors are 10 a penny, they
are not here in Germany (they want $200 for a 14"
monitor!).  I have a Miro 20SD 2MB video card (S3 868)
but no monitor and am trying to use what hardware I have.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Brown, Dr. Materna GmbH, Dortmund, Germany
When replying by email change the $'s to .'s

2. Global Exposure (we do the work)

3. Hercules mono graphics card

4. Password file lookup

5. Setting up for Hercules Mono Card

6. Asking about ppp

7. hercules mono card

8. Problem Installing Linux RH6

9. Xwindows on Hercules mono card

10. Trying to Install old Hercules Mono Video Card

11. X-Interface for Hercules mono non-vga card

12. How To Use Old Hercules Non-Vga Mono Card

13. X Server problem with hercules mono card