Fvwm95 and saving window positions

Post by Gregg Gile » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to preserve the positions and sizes of two color xterm windows
under Fvwm95 (RH5.0, using startx to launch X). The system current uses the
default system config files for X - I haven't created any of my own - do I
edit .xinitrc and add the geometry there? Do I have to specify Fvwm95 in the
.xinitrc file? If anybody could provide a simple example and what I need to
do, I'd appreciate it. Thanks...

Fvwm95 and saving window positions

Post by Xtac » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

edit the .xinitrc file in your home dir (copy the original there if ya
want)

then add the programs you want to run when you start X to that file
(including the geometry) and the last line should run your window
manager.

eg...

tkdesk &
xv -quit -root /root/1_1024*.jpg
fvwm95-2

--
I'm a sucker for a disfunctional family.

1. Saving window positions

Is there any way to save window positions in fvwm?  Because I usually run
640x480 (my monitor is a little flaky and messes up the screen position
in 800x600 so I have to manually recenter the screen), most applications
I start up are HUGE compared to my screen.  I have to manually resize
them to get them to fit in one screen (rather than having to scroll down
two  or three screens).  The problem is, the window positions aren't
saved so I have to do this all the time...

2. Bugs sitting in the NEW state for more than 2 weeks

3. Sawfish Saving Window size/position...

4. OS re-install

5. Saving window positions and sizes

6. iostreams and FIFOs

7. Saving Application Window Positions in CDE?

8. X Windows and 3D Blaster...hehe

9. NEWBIE: fvwm95 how to save settings

10. FVWM95-2 and Desktop saving

11. specify window position in Sawfish window manager failed

12. Saving Icon Positions

13. Saving/restoring the console cursor position?