System sounds work in root, but not in user

System sounds work in root, but not in user

Post by John Holde » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm pretty much a Linux newbie and I'm having problems getting system
sounds to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but
nowhere else).  I got the CD player to work in the user account by
entering chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for
kaudioserver, kwmsound, etc. but have not had success.  Have also issued
numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the files/devices I
thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd, sndstat, etc.)

When I exit KDE (as user, not root) I have some messages on the screen
above the command prompt that read:

PID could not get read.
State=0
kaudioserver:  Can't connect to the X Server.
kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session.
Failed starting audio server!

I don't get these messages, and I don't have problems hearing system
sounds, when I'm logged in as root and running KDE that way.

System details:  I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on
CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.

Appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks in advance to any gurus
familiar with this problem who can offer some guidance!

John Holder

System sounds work in root, but not in user

Post by Lonni J. Friedma » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Try issuing a chmod on /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/midi

> Hello,

> I'm pretty much a Linux newbie and I'm having problems getting system
> sounds to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but
> nowhere else).  I got the CD player to work in the user account by
> entering chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for
> kaudioserver, kwmsound, etc. but have not had success.  Have also issued
> numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the files/devices I
> thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd, sndstat, etc.)

> When I exit KDE (as user, not root) I have some messages on the screen
> above the command prompt that read:

> PID could not get read.
> State=0
> kaudioserver:  Can't connect to the X Server.
> kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session.
> Failed starting audio server!

> I don't get these messages, and I don't have problems hearing system
> sounds, when I'm logged in as root and running KDE that way.

> System details:  I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
> 1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on
> CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
> Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.

> Appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks in advance to any gurus
> familiar with this problem who can offer some guidance!

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

1. System sounds work for root, not for user

[...]

2. ftp to Linux m/c.

3. System sounds work in root but not user

4. tg3/pci issue with recent 2.5 bk

5. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

6. start apps with special keys

8. KDVI from CVS

9. getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

10. how do 'plug-ins' work?

11. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

12. Does uemacs really work ins SysV.2?

13. Sounds work in root, but not in user