Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

Post by Daniel Era » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:23:41



Hello, I've been having some problems using fonts.alias to replace fonts.
My current goal is to rid myself of as many Type1 fonts as possible, using
similar TrueType fonts instead.  I'm using XFree86 4.0.2, and the beginning
of my XF86Config file looks like this:

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

The fonts.alias file in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 includes the following
lines (linebreaks added for readability):

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-medium-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-narrow--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-medium-o-narrow--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-narrow--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-adobe-helvetica-bold-o-narrow--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1 \
        -monotype-arial-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1

When I use gfontsel to make sure that this is working, I find that Arial is
being used for most, but not all, sizes of Helvetica.  Helvetica is still
used for 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, and 24 point fonts.  For example, a request for
the font:

        -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

returns:

        -Adobe-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--12-120-75-75-P-67-ISO8859-1

rather than:

        -monotype-arial-medium-r-normal--12-116-75-75-p-53-iso8859-1

I'm also having the same problem with the Times font -- at certain sizes,
Times is still being used instead of Times New Roman.  Thanks in advance to
anyone who can give me any assistance,

Daniel Erat

 
 
 

Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

Post by Bob Tenne » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 06:53:22



 >My current goal is to rid myself of as many Type1 fonts as possible, using
 >similar TrueType fonts instead.  

You're doing the wrong thing. Type 1 fonts are *better* than True Type fonts.
But if a web site specifies a font like Times New Roman in a funny size (which
is what MS products like to do) you'll get poor results. What you need to do is
configure your fonts.alias file to use the Type 1 font at a sensible size in
place of the TT font. The details are here:

http://people.redhat.com/scoile/fonts/fixing.html

Another approach, if you're not fussy about violating licences, is to use the
fonts available from MS. There is a font-de-uglification HOWTO on this.

Bob T.

 
 
 

Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

Post by Daniel Era » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:56:53



> You're doing the wrong thing. Type 1 fonts are *better* than True Type
> fonts.  But if a web site specifies a font like Times New Roman in a
> funny size (which is what MS products like to do) you'll get poor
> results. What you need to do is configure your fonts.alias file to use
> the Type 1 font at a sensible size in place of the TT font. The details
> are here:

> http://people.redhat.com/scoile/fonts/fixing.html

Thanks for the quick reply.  With my setup, the Monotype TrueType Arial
font looks much better onscreen than the Adobe Type 1 Helvetica font at 12
points.  Compared to Arial, curved parts of letters are very blocky in
Helvetica.

In any case, my question is, "Why is Helvetica only being replaced by Arial
at certain sizes, rather than at all of them?". :)

Quote:> Another approach, if you're not fussy about violating licences, is to use
> the fonts available from MS. There is a font-de-uglification HOWTO on
> this.

As I said in my original post, I have Arial, Times New Roman, et al.
installed and working.  The problem is, despite my aliases, Helvetica is
still used at some sizes.  Regarding licenses, I have a legal Windows 98
installation on the same computer and using symlinking the fonts from
there, so I don't think there should be any issues.  Thanks,

Daniel

 
 
 

Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

Post by Alan Shutk » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:52:54



> Thanks for the quick reply.  With my setup, the Monotype TrueType Arial
> font looks much better onscreen than the Adobe Type 1 Helvetica font at 12
> points.  Compared to Arial, curved parts of letters are very blocky in
> Helvetica.

Odds are this is due to one of three things:

* Maybe you don't have scalable versions of Adobe Helvetica in Type
  1.  (I don't think X comes standard with it at all, just some
  bitmaps and a 3rd party helvetica.)

* Maybe you don't have a _good_ Adobe Helvetica.  I use an actual font
  from Adobe.

* Probably, you don't have a good T1 rasterizer.  This is usually the
  problem.  It's easier to write a good TT rasterizer than a good T1
  rasterizer, because TT hints are actual miniprograms, which the
  rasterizer runs to get good results at a given resolution.  Good T1
  rasterizers exist (Acroread seems to be much better than X, for
  instance) but the normal X rasterizer is really, really bad.
  Hopefully, it'll be switched over to the Freetype rasterizer
  sometime soon.  I don't know how good theirs is at T1 right now, but
  they've shown both a commitment to quality and an ability to achieve
  it.  

So, you're probably right saying that the TT fonts will do better for
you than the T1 fonts.  (Same thing for me onscreen.)  

Quote:> In any case, my question is, "Why is Helvetica only being replaced by Arial
> at certain sizes, rather than at all of them?". :)

Probably because the entries for the old Helvetica still exist.  I'd
go through all the directories in your font path, and just get rid of
the old fonts.dir entries for anything that says Helvetica.  

--

5.25" floppy is not better than 3.5" hard.

 
 
 

Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

Post by Daniel Era » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:38:35


[snip]

Quote:> Probably because the entries for the old Helvetica still exist.  I'd go
> through all the directories in your font path, and just get rid of the
> old fonts.dir entries for anything that says Helvetica.  

Thanks, that fixed it (at least until I upgrade my font packages). :)

Daniel

 
 
 

1. Incomplete font list (only shows Type1 and Truetype) [KDE2]

Hello,
        This problem has been anoying me, and I don't remember if it
was always the case or happened when I recently upgraded to SuSE
7.3... But I am currently experiencing it with KDE2.1.? and have
tried KDE2.2.? (latest).

        My system has lots of fonts (SuSE having lots of everything
of course), i have the standerd Xwindows fonts, spedo, misc, plus all
the true-type MS windows fonts. These all work, xfontsel will show me
them, and xlsfonts will list them all.

        However.. KDE will show me only Type1 and Truetype fonts.
This means, for one thing, there are no fixed-width fonts for konsole
(very anoying, so i've moved back to the old xterm)..

        I have had the problem with konsole intermitently before, and
iirc it solves itself or at lease I can't remember how i solved it..

        Any help greatly appreciated..

Thnx.

        Richard.

2. IDL/Corba on linux

3. Truetype -> Type1 font converter

4. help: printers not working

5. Solution: tall skinny truetype/Type1 fonts

6. Loose connection when i get a new IP from DHCP

7. Missing fonts.dir for PS Type1 fonts in "ar" locale...

8. internet thru windows to linux

9. kde 3.0.0 truetype anti-aliased fonts problem

10. Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

11. TrueType Font -> PS-Font ?