X windows with Cirrus Logic - HELP!

Post by Hetz Ben Ha » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,

Seems that I have a problem either with my card or my computer!

I have DX-2 66MHz with 16MB memory and Cirrus Logic 5428VLB card.

X windows in 8 bit works fine and even fast (Netscape Linux version is
MUCH faster then Windows 95 version specially the JAVA scrolling
messages!)

However, I cannot see any 16 bit colours under any resolution (I'm
intrested in 1024x768) and I HAVE 2MB VRAM!

I used xf86config on my PC and looks ok, I checked on my friend who
got S3 card (the SOB) and the same configuration there works very
well...

Any suggestions? Emil me please!

Hetz

Post by Jonas Anders » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: I have DX-2 66MHz with 16MB memory and Cirrus Logic 5428VLB card.

: X windows in 8 bit works fine and even fast (Netscape Linux version is
: MUCH faster then Windows 95 version specially the JAVA scrolling
: messages!)
I've only tried netscape for linux, on 8 megs - it's SLOW!!!

: However, I cannot see any 16 bit colours under any resolution (I'm
: intrested in 1024x768) and I HAVE 2MB VRAM!
Check ***/doc/cards/cirrus.txt I believe. Search for Option. It tells you
how to set it up.

Jones

X windows with Cirrus Logic - HELP!

Post by Keith T. Kallber » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi there,

>Seems that I have a problem either with my card or my computer!

>I have DX-2 66MHz with 16MB memory and Cirrus Logic 5428VLB card.

>X windows in 8 bit works fine and even fast (Netscape Linux version is
>MUCH faster then Windows 95 version specially the JAVA scrolling
>messages!)

>However, I cannot see any 16 bit colours under any resolution (I'm
>intrested in 1024x768) and I HAVE 2MB VRAM!

>I used xf86config on my PC and looks ok, I checked on my friend who
>got S3 card (the SOB) and the same configuration there works very
>well...

>Any suggestions? Emil me please!

>Hetz

You need to use a couple of flags in your XF86Config file to get 16 bit
working.  Look in /var/X11R6/lib/doc/README.cirrus for help.
The flags are something like 'linear' and 'membase....'  I can't remember
for sure because I am not at home.

If you need further info e-mail me at the below address.  Don't hit your
reply button because I am posting from my employers account.

Post by Daniel Coh » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>Hi there,

>>Seems that I have a problem either with my card or my computer!

>>I have DX-2 66MHz with 16MB memory and Cirrus Logic 5428VLB card.

I have the same configuration.

Quote:>>However, I cannot see any 16 bit colours under any resolution (I'm
>>intrested in 1024x768) and I HAVE 2MB VRAM!

>>Any suggestions? Emil me please!

>>Hetz

>You need to use a couple of flags in your XF86Config file to get 16 bit
>working.  Look in /var/X11R6/lib/doc/README.cirrus for help.
>The flags are something like 'linear' and 'membase....'  I can't remember
>for sure because I am not at home.

I have tried the linear option and the membase options at every suggested
position.  I have heard rumors that the card by default will map the memory
to somewhere near the 14 Megabytes area, but this is not possible with 16 Megs
of RAM.  Every membase option I have tried either freezes or reboots my
computer.  I can not even get X to load with the linear option at 8 bpp.
If anyone has any suggestions, please email me also.  Thanks.

   -----------        ----------------        ----------------------------

   -----------        ----------------        ----------------------------

X windows with Cirrus Logic - HELP!

Post by Zoran Marjans » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi there,

>Seems that I have a problem either with my card or my computer!

>I have DX-2 66MHz with 16MB memory and Cirrus Logic 5428VLB card.

>X windows in 8 bit works fine and even fast (Netscape Linux version is
>MUCH faster then Windows 95 version specially the JAVA scrolling
>messages!)

>However, I cannot see any 16 bit colours under any resolution (I'm
>intrested in 1024x768) and I HAVE 2MB VRAM!

>I used xf86config on my PC and looks ok, I checked on my friend who
>got S3 card (the SOB) and the same configuration there works very
>well...

>Any suggestions? Emil me please!

>Hetz

Did you startx with the following?

startx -- -bpp 16

With xdpyinfo you can tell if you would be getting 16 bpp.
--
:-)
Zoran

Post by Phillip W Ro » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Andersen) writes:
> : I have DX-2 66MHz with 16MB memory and Cirrus Logic 5428VLB card.

> : X windows in 8 bit works fine and even fast (Netscape Linux version is
> : MUCH faster then Windows 95 version specially the JAVA scrolling
> : messages!)
> I've only tried netscape for linux, on 8 megs - it's SLOW!!!

        I agree.  I set up a gateway 2000dx2 today with 8 megs of ram and Netscape ran
slow through xwindows at both 8 and 16 bits-per-pixel.  The way I got xwindows
to run at 16 bpp was to tell the driver /etc/XF86Config to use a linear frame
buffer.  This is the only way that the CL5428 would use 16 bpp.  But it was not
a VLB video card.  The video was integrated on the motherboard.

                                                                -Phil

1. X Windows and Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI... HELP!

Hello. I am running Linux Slackware 1.2.13 and X 3.1.2

I can't get my Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI video card to work with other than the
standard VGA driver at 640X480.  I need a higher resolution for using the
Netscape.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

                                        Tom Vaughan

2. newbie learning perl

3. HELP:: Cirrus Logic 7543 + X-Windows

4. Warning: April Fool's Day is here

5. Cirrus Logic Card and X-window (HELP)

6. Recovering System

7. X Window and the Cirrus Logic GD5465

8. a new system...linux friendly?

9. *HELP* Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP // RedHat 5.2... *HELP*

10. Setting up X-Windows on a Cirrus Logic GD5428!

11. X-Windows w/ Cirrus Logic CL-GD5424 and NEC SVGA

12. Cirrus Logic 5420 @ 800x60 in X-Windows

13. Windows accelerator and Cirrus Logic