gnome and button3 for adding symlinks/icons to desktop

gnome and button3 for adding symlinks/icons to desktop

Post by Jungshik Shi » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

  I've got Mandrake Linux 6.1 and recently gave anothery
try to Gnome last night.(I've been using WindowMaker).  One thing I
couldn't do is adding a shortcut to Gnome desktop with GUI(i.e. not
creating files/directories manually under ~/.gnome-desktop). According
to the Gnome User Guide, pressing the button 3(right mouse button) in
the blank region of the desktop should bring up a pull-down menu with
items like "New | Directory", "New | File", "Arrange Icons". However,
I don't get it. Instead, I got whatever is assigned to the button3 by
whatever window manager I run with Gnome. In Enlightenment, I removed
the binding to the button3 (changed it to alt+button3) hoping that would
restore the default(?) Gnome behavior, but that didn't work.

   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

     Jungshik Shin

Post by TheQuantumShif » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

>   I've got Mandrake Linux 6.1 and recently gave anothery
> try to Gnome last night.(I've been using WindowMaker).  One thing I
> couldn't do is adding a shortcut to Gnome desktop with GUI(i.e. not
> creating files/directories manually under ~/.gnome-desktop). According
> to the Gnome User Guide, pressing the button 3(right mouse button) in
> the blank region of the desktop should bring up a pull-down menu with
> items like "New | Directory", "New | File", "Arrange Icons". However,
> I don't get it. Instead, I got whatever is assigned to the button3 by
> whatever window manager I run with Gnome. In Enlightenment, I removed
> the binding to the button3 (changed it to alt+button3) hoping that would
> restore the default(?) Gnome behavior, but that didn't work.

>    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>      Jungshik Shin

the button your looking for is button2. like right clicking on a win95
desktop. button 3 is actually the middle button (or both presses together
on a 2 button mouse) but i guess gnome was actually counting from left to
right...

1. Can't Change the desktop symlinks icons.

I tried to change the icon of the symlinks on my desktop, btw the icons are
different from those of 'root' after installing Helix Gnome 1.2.  I would
go into property of a symlink and change the icons, but no effect.  And, i
checked the permission and it's alright.
Anyone had the same problem?   Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Apache feature info

3. How to put an shortcut icon on the GNOME desktop for directory listing?

4. Linux as a CD-Server

5. Gnome/GMC Desktop Icon Size

6. sh script question

7. GNOME desktop icons probleme

8. External non-Sun CD-ROM drives?

9. Can't remove desktop icons in Gnome

10. removing device icons on gnome desktop

11. Gnome & Desktop Drive Icons

12. Desktop icons won't stop spawning in RH7.1/Gnome/Sawfish!

13. Wierd Gnome problem - Desktop Icons disappear in some WMs