"no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

"no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

Post by jemarti.. » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am having a problem getting xwindows to start on my freshly
installed Linux Mandrake 7.0 installation.  I am using what I believe
to be supported Number 9 Revolution 3D 4 meg AGP card and a ViewSonic
E773.  For some reason, I get the following message when I run startx:

*** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
resolved.***

Fatal Server Error:
no screens found

I guess the short answer is that this means xwindows won't run.  Does
anyone know the long answer, why it won't run?

Linux Version 2.2.14-15mdksecure

"no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

Post by xiangol » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:

You can try the I128 server and see if X starts up properly.

Live long and prosper.

Xiangola

Quote:> Hi,

> I am having a problem getting xwindows to start on my freshly
> installed Linux Mandrake 7.0 installation.  I am using what I believe
> to be supported Number 9 Revolution 3D 4 meg AGP card and a ViewSonic
> E773.  For some reason, I get the following message when I run startx:

> *** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
> resolved.***

> Fatal Server Error:
> no screens found

> I guess the short answer is that this means xwindows won't run.  Does
> anyone know the long answer, why it won't run?

> Linux Version 2.2.14-15mdksecure

"no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

Post by jemarti.. » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply.

I do believe it is attempting to use the I128 server already.  Would
attempting to use a 'vanilla' video card setting benefit
troubleshooting in any way?

>Greetings:

>You can try the I128 server and see if X starts up properly.

>Live long and prosper.

>Xiangola

>> Hi,

>> I am having a problem getting xwindows to start on my freshly
>> installed Linux Mandrake 7.0 installation.  I am using what I believe
>> to be supported Number 9 Revolution 3D 4 meg AGP card and a ViewSonic
>> E773.  For some reason, I get the following message when I run startx:

>> *** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
>> resolved.***

>> Fatal Server Error:
>> no screens found

>> I guess the short answer is that this means xwindows won't run.  Does
>> anyone know the long answer, why it won't run?

>> Linux Version 2.2.14-15mdksecure

"no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

Post by xiangol » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:

There's no perfect valilla option that I know of, unless you want to use the
16 colors server (which would be a very, very, very, very, very bad choice
:-( . But you can also try the SVGA server and see what it can give you.

Live long and prosper.

Xiangola

> Thanks for the reply.

> I do believe it is attempting to use the I128 server already.  Would
> attempting to use a 'vanilla' video card setting benefit
> troubleshooting in any way?

> >Greetings:

> >You can try the I128 server and see if X starts up properly.

> >Live long and prosper.

> >Xiangola

> >> Hi,

> >> I am having a problem getting xwindows to start on my freshly
> >> installed Linux Mandrake 7.0 installation.  I am using what I believe
> >> to be supported Number 9 Revolution 3D 4 meg AGP card and a ViewSonic
> >> E773.  For some reason, I get the following message when I run startx:

> >> *** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
> >> resolved.***

> >> Fatal Server Error:
> >> no screens found

> >> I guess the short answer is that this means xwindows won't run.  Does
> >> anyone know the long answer, why it won't run?

> >> Linux Version 2.2.14-15mdksecure

"no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

Post by jemarti.. » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Well, I guess I cheated, but I got it to work.  I dumped my Mandrake
installation and installed Storm Linux instead.  Viola, instant
action.  Now that I have a working config, (and -know- Linux supports
my hardware) I will save the setup files for future reference.  (as
long as they don't get trashed.)

Thanks for your help!