Bootdisk problems

Post by Greg Von Lort » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just purchased " Using Linux" came with redhat 5.1, I can't seem to get
the boot disk to work, says "Boot error" when I start my machine with
the a drive.

Bootdisk problems

Post by WWarren Mir » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

make another one. Use rawrite...

> Just purchased " Using Linux" came with redhat 5.1, I can't seem to get
> the boot disk to work, says "Boot error" when I start my machine with
> the a drive.

Bootdisk problems

Post by Cyrill Steine » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I encountered exactly the same trouble. I solved it by making a new
boot-disk using 'rawrite'. I'm not shure why the first boot-disk didn't
work. I think the mistake was that I made the first boot-disk in the
dos-prompt-Window of Windows98. The second boot-disk I made with 'rawrite'
after rebooting the computer in DOS, this one worked. There was another
pitfall. The Red Hat Distribution I used was on a CD I purchased together
with a book (so it was not an original redhat distribution). There were two
different 'boot.img'- files on this CD! And only one gives a boot-disk that
works! Maybe there is the same trouble on your CD.

Cyrill Steiner

> Just purchased " Using Linux" came with redhat 5.1, I can't seem to get
> the boot disk to work, says "Boot error" when I start my machine with
> the a drive.

1. Bootdisk: Problems with large root filesystems (and thus ramdisks)

I just created a bootdisk (which runs without problems), when I realized
I wanted to have a larger ramdisk (the ramdisk didnt magically grow
when I created files on it as I expected from "ramdisk.txt").

So I just made my root-filesystem larger (12Mb) and (as it is
compressed), it still fits nicely on the floppy disk.
But while linux is still loading the image from disk, I now get pages of
error messages stating:
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8684
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8685
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8686

after that, the system still seems to work fine at first.
But after a while of working on the ramdisk (you can provoke it by
writing a 2Mb file), it starts again (only varied by different sector
numbers) and usually ends with a kernel panic.

The kernel ouput reads as follows:
Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 01:00): ext2_read_inode: unable to
read i-node block - inode=1505, block=8197

My configuration:
- 2.0.30 Kernel
- compressed ext2fs root file system
  (configured like described in the bootdisk-howto, 4. Advanced Bootdisk
Creation)
- the error prevails on different systems (AMD K6-200, 64Mb - Pentium90,
32Mb)

If anybody knows either why all these error messages come up just by
enlarging the ramdisk/root-fs or knows if there is really something like
a automatically resizable ramdisk (which would solve my problem, too),
please E-mail me.

Thank You,
Stefan Schonger

2. Mouse does not respond

3. DPT SCSI Bootdisk Problem - Help!

4. 8514 version of Xserver

5. Bootdisk problem

6. Boot Errors on OSR 5!

7. UMSDOS Configured bootdisk problem.

8. XFree install on 2.2.2

9. Debian-bootdisk problems with NCR SCSI 810

10. SLS 1.03 Bootdisk problem (computer kept reseting itself)

11. Mitsumi CD-Rom Bootdisk Problems

12. slackware-3.2 bootdisk problem.

13. Slakware bootdisk problems...