What is the difference between workspace and virtual workspace?

What is the difference between workspace and virtual workspace?

Post by Shi Ji » Mon, 20 May 2002 06:39:26

Thank you very  much.

What is the difference between workspace and virtual workspace?

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 20 May 2002 08:28:05

On Sat, 18 May 2002 17:39:26 -0400, Shi Jin staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> What is the difference between workspace and virtual workspace?

Under X, you have at least one large, rectangular graphical area that is
the same size as the highest resolution defined in /etc/X11/XF86Config .
This is the "screen".

Desktop environments (GNOME, KDE) and window managers (icewm, fvwm,
blackbox) generally put a "desktop" or "workspace" over the "screen".
This desktop contains things like a background image, a taskbar, a dock,
and icons.

Almost every window manager allows you to have more than one of these
desktops available, so you can put all your xterms on desktop 1, all
your Mozilla sessions on desktop 2, your GIMP session on desktop 3, an
IRC session open on all the desktops, etc.  These are called "virtual
desktops" since they're really the same desktop, but the window manager
does things like "hide all windows except the xterms and the IRC
session, restore the xterms and IRC session to full visibility" when the
user presses Ctrl-F1 to switch to desktop 1 or presses the "1" on the
desktop pager applet.  Items like the taskbar/dock and icons on the
desktop's root window are generally persistent across all desktops.
They are called "virtual" because they don't really exist--they're all
on the same screen in 99.5% of cases.  The only way you could have
multiple "real" desktops is if you had a dual-head video card and 2
monitors.

Further questions, please Read The Fine Manual before posting.  This
material is covered in the "intro to KDE, virtual desktops" section in
the KDE Help, and in a similar place in the GNOME Help.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

What is the difference between workspace and virtual workspace?

Post by Ada » Tue, 21 May 2002 06:31:59

Quote:> Further questions, please Read The Fine Manual before posting.  This
> material is covered in the "intro to KDE, virtual desktops" section in
> the KDE Help, and in a similar place in the GNOME Help.

The problem for us newbies is knowing WHICH "fine" manual to read.
Most of them are not fine, they are outdated or incorrect. Reading the
wrong one might well cause a disaster, this is my biggest gripe about
Linux in general so far, Documentation sucks the big one.

-Adam

Post by Hal Burgis » Tue, 21 May 2002 06:56:21

>> Further questions, please Read The Fine Manual before posting.  This
>> material is covered in the "intro to KDE, virtual desktops" section in
>> the KDE Help, and in a similar place in the GNOME Help.

> The problem for us newbies is knowing WHICH "fine" manual to read.
> Most of them are not fine, they are outdated or incorrect. Reading
> the

Most? Huh? Specifically what?

Quote:> wrong one might well cause a disaster, this is my biggest gripe about
> Linux in general so far, Documentation sucks the big one.

Well, good. I can see you can write reasonably well, so pitch right and
help straighten this out. Find one project whose stuff you use, and has
lousy docs, and contact the author(s). Most would be glad to have
some legitimate help. This is really how Linux works: somebody sees a
need for something, and then does what they can to bring it about.

On the other hand, if you want to be just another f'n user, and benefit
from the (mostly free) work of others, who are giving you the fruit of
their effort without doing anything in return, then fine, but don't
complain.

--
Hal Burgiss