Help: X-Windows Direct Login?

Post by A Dia » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hello all. I would like Linux to start directly with X-Windows, doing the login
within the X-windows system. I know there is a program that does it but I do
not know which one or how to install it. I am quite new in UNIX stuff so I
would like a step-by-step explanation please.

                Thanx.

Help: X-Windows Direct Login?

Post by MB. Tayl » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello all. I would like Linux to start directly with X-Windows, doing the login
>within the X-windows system. I know there is a program that does it but I do
>not know which one or how to install it. I am quite new in UNIX stuff so I
>would like a step-by-step explanation please.
>            Thanx.

The program in question is called xdm (X display manager).
Depending on what distribution you have you might find it's pretty easy.
If there are references in your /etc/inittab file to runlevel 6 being
used for xdm in, then just change the default runlevel to 6,
which probably involves changing the line (in /etc/inittab):
  id:5:initdefault:
  id:6:initdefault:

If not, then it's probably more complicated, you'd better wait for
someone more knowledgeable than me to reply.

| Mark Beauchamp Taylor  -  physicist trapped in a chemist's body.    |

| Department of Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK                  -------
-----------------------------------------------------| ... It's the future! |
                                                     ------------------------

Help: X-Windows Direct Login?

Post by Omar Francis » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

My best advice, being a Linux novice myself, is to get the book X Window
System Administrator's Guide.  I have been using Linux for about a week
now, and with the help of this book I have acomplished a lot.  Including
setting up XDM to login to X-Windows at start up.

the Book ISBN is 0-937175-83-8

Omar Francisco

Help: X-Windows Direct Login?

Post by Kai Leibrand » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> >Hello all. I would like Linux to start directly with X-Windows, doing the login
> >within the X-windows system.

<SNIP>

Quote:> If there are references in your /etc/inittab file to runlevel 6 being
> used for xdm in, then just change the default runlevel to 6,
> which probably involves changing the line (in /etc/inittab):
>   id:5:initdefault:
>   id:6:initdefault:

Carefull here:
If you're using slackware, this;ll work fine, but if you're using RedHat
or any other distribution with SysVInit, runlevel 6 is reserved for
reboot, so _do not set initdefault to 6_ in this case. If you have
RedHat, runlevel 5 will be xdm, and 3 normal, tty login.

Kai.

                   Interaction Design Research

Design Researcher

Brunel University                            fax: +44 (0)1784 472879
Department of Design              voice: +44 (0)1784 431341 Ext. 244

Help: X-Windows Direct Login?

Post by Michael McKenz » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I beg to differ.  I am running Slakware 3.0.0 on my Linux box, and
/etc/inttab likes 6 as reboot, 5 as default and *4* as boot-to-X.

Help: X-Windows Direct Login?

Post by Jon Sundquis » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>> >Hello all. I would like Linux to start directly with X-Windows, doing the login
>> >within the X-windows system.

><SNIP>

>> If there are references in your /etc/inittab file to runlevel 6 being
>> used for xdm in, then just change the default runlevel to 6,
>> which probably involves changing the line (in /etc/inittab):
>>   id:5:initdefault:
>>   id:6:initdefault:
>Carefull here:
>If you're using slackware, this;ll work fine, but if you're using RedHat
>or any other distribution with SysVInit, runlevel 6 is reserved for
>reboot, so _do not set initdefault to 6_ in this case. If you have
>RedHat, runlevel 5 will be xdm, and 3 normal, tty login.

to which somebody responded:

Quote:>I beg to differ.  I am running Slakware 3.0.0 on my Linux box, and
>/etc/inttab likes 6 as reboot, 5 as default and *4* as boot-to-X.

I think this is the difference between older Slackware (i.e.2.3) and 3.0.0.
 My 3.0.0 system has 6 as reboot, but the book I bought from Morse
Communications by Volkerding et. al. which covers 2.3.0 has you going to
run level 6 for Xdm.

So if I want to boot-to-X, is it OK with 3.0.0 to go ahead and default to 4
(with appropriate an rc.4 file)? Or is there anything else reserved for run
level 4?

Jon Sundquist

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. inetd

3. help : Can't login in from X-Windows!

4. After Probing for Hardware the computer restarts

5. Intel 3D Direct AGP videocontroller problems installing X-windows

6. JDK 1.3.1p8 problem report

7. Intel 3D Direct AGP videocontroller problem installing X-windows

8. Slip gateway can't see its own subnet????

9. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

10. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

11. root login from X-Windows

12. Booting Straight into X-Windows via Login Screen

13. Q:XDM creates loop was:Re: Going directly into X-Windows after login...