fvwm

Post by Roger Maso » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I want to experiment with the appearance of the desktop in X. I am using
fvwm95. I copied system.fvwm2rc to ~/.fvwm2rc and changed ownership &
permissions so I can edit and execute it without logging in a root. I
changed  the following line:

*FvwmPagerGeometry -1-1

*FvwmPagerGeometry +0+0

in hopes of making the pager appear in the top left corner of the
desktop, but it persists in appearing in the bottom right. I realize
that top left is not a particularly sensible placement, buut roght now I
just want to gain control of it.

Thanks for any help,

Roger Mason

fvwm

Post by Valentin Guille » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Roger,

I'm certainly not an expert in Linux nor FVWM95.  I began playing with it to
attempt to change it's appearance.  I wanted to change colors and to put the
start button up in the upper left corner, the same way I run OS/2 warp 4,
and win9x, NT, etc.
I began by going into EVERY FVWM *.* file I could find, and making the
changes in ALL of them, because when I made the change in the one I thought
would do it, It  didn't.  After changing the geometry settings in almost
every file related to FVWM95, I got the changes I wanted, but don't really
know which files have done the change.  There are a whole slew of files
which are related, and didn't take thetime to read ten thousand How Tos.

If you make the changes to every file relate to FVWM, the changes you make
will execute, and there must be an easier way, but I don't know it.

I'll send you a couple of screen captures with my custom colors ( green and
brown) along with the start button shifted tothe upper left.

Maybe this info will help you out.

--
Valentin Guillen

  ------------------------
remove capitalized letters to email me
remueve mayusculas para enviarme email

fvwm

Post by anthony classic » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I make all my changes to a file .fvwm95rc in my home directory. There is
another file fvwm95.system (or system.fvwm95? system.fvwm95rc?) that
contains default (in the absence of .fvwm95rc) settings. Look up fvwm95
in "man" for details.

> Roger,

> I'm certainly not an expert in Linux nor FVWM95.  I began playing with it to
> attempt to change it's appearance.  I wanted to change colors and to put the
> start button up in the upper left corner, the same way I run OS/2 warp 4,
> and win9x, NT, etc.
> I began by going into EVERY FVWM *.* file I could find, and making the
> changes in ALL of them, because when I made the change in the one I thought
> would do it, It  didn't.  After changing the geometry settings in almost
> every file related to FVWM95, I got the changes I wanted, but don't really
> know which files have done the change.  There are a whole slew of files
> which are related, and didn't take thetime to read ten thousand How Tos.

> If you make the changes to every file relate to FVWM, the changes you make
> will execute, and there must be an easier way, but I don't know it.

> I'll send you a couple of screen captures with my custom colors ( green and
> brown) along with the start button shifted tothe upper left.

> Maybe this info will help you out.

> --
> Valentin Guillen

>   ------------------------
> remove capitalized letters to email me
> remueve mayusculas para enviarme email

1. fvwm...doesnt' read .fvwm file??

I want to start using fvwm, so I read the man pages and started to
play with it.  Thing is, the only file that it will read (at startup)is the
default file (sample.fvwmrc).  No I know that I can change ThAT file,
but I'd like to have a .fvwm file in my home dir.  I created one, but
X doesn't want to read it.  I can run olvwm with no problem, but the
.fvwm file gets ignored.
  I commented out the olvwm line in my .xinitrc, and added fvwm &
I know that it looks in my home dir, because I changed the default
file name in the default dir and startx didn't work.  When the fail
came up, it told me that it couldn't find the default file OR the
.fvwm file in my home dir.  I have the permissions set to all read and
write, but I don't have the execute set, since the default file works
and it is not executable.  Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks
-=Cynon=-  Bring back              |*|  Welcome to the Peoples Republic of NJ
  safe government: Use Kingdoms!   |*|  Please leave your RKBA at the gate

3. fvwm-ewmh-0.4 - Extended WM Hints for FVWM

4. freebsd & x86 assembly lang

5. Subject: fvwm-ewmh-0.5 - Extended WM Hints for FVWM

6. Problem with Zip IDE drive

7. fvwm-ewmh-0.3 - Extended WM Hints for FVWM

8. BSD - Linux ?'s

9. fvwm wows!!! When I try to start fvwm I get a message libXpm.so.4.6 not found

10. FVWM and GoodStuff

11. Mouseless FVWM: how to click?

12. FVWM colors....help

13. fvwm, cdrom...