PPP problem using XNetscape HTTP, telnet &ftp works!

PPP problem using XNetscape HTTP, telnet &ftp works!

Post by Andrea Di D » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Please Help Me, It is a month that I'm tryng to solve this problem,
and I'm starting to think that learning Unix with Linux is a waste of
time.
        Notes:
-I had reconfigured kernel 1.2.13 with Soundblaster, Network (only
ppp), and some other options.
-My Internet provider give me a PPP link. I phone to the Cisco-gateway
at 194.20.240.129 (cs.genesi.shiny.it) but the server is
194.20.240.130 (genesi.shiny.it). Netmask is 255.255.255.224 and Dns
is 194.20.232.1 (denise.shiny.it). My hostname has a name give it from
me: diddo.genesi.shiny.it. Normally (when starting Linux, not on line)
I use only 127.0.0.1 as loopback address.
-I use a dip script that init the V32bis modem, call 805850, get $mtu
1500 and send login & passwd, after that takes the dynamic IP from
Server and fire up ppp.

At the moment, I can use Telnet, ncFTP or FTP, popclient (POP3mail
client), Ping, traceroute, and much other text oriented service.
But when I launch Xmosaic or Netscape (1.11 or 2.01) from a Shell of
Xwindow the browser can only read newsgroup, make ftp, send mail but
NO DATA CAN BE SHOWN FROM HTTP, the only web page that I can see is my
home page on the 2nd Windows95 Hard disk. Really Good !

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me!
       ,,,,
      /'^'\
     ( o o )
-oOOO--(_)--OOOo-------------------------------------------------------

  (   )   Oooo.  Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/1969
---\ (----(   )--------------------------------------------------------
    \_)    ) /
          (_/

Post by Ayman Haida » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

> Please Help Me, It is a month that I'm tryng to solve this problem,
> and I'm starting to think that learning Unix with Linux is a waste of
> time.
>         Notes:
> -I had reconfigured kernel 1.2.13 with Soundblaster, Network (only
> ppp), and some other options.
> -My Internet provider give me a PPP link. I phone to the Cisco-gateway
> at 194.20.240.129 (cs.genesi.shiny.it) but the server is
> 194.20.240.130 (genesi.shiny.it). Netmask is 255.255.255.224 and Dns
> is 194.20.232.1 (denise.shiny.it). My hostname has a name give it from
> me: diddo.genesi.shiny.it. Normally (when starting Linux, not on line)
> I use only 127.0.0.1 as loopback address.
> -I use a dip script that init the V32bis modem, call 805850, get $mtu
> 1500 and send login & passwd, after that takes the dynamic IP from
> Server and fire up ppp.

> At the moment, I can use Telnet, ncFTP or FTP, popclient (POP3mail
> client), Ping, traceroute, and much other text oriented service.
> But when I launch Xmosaic or Netscape (1.11 or 2.01) from a Shell of
> Xwindow the browser can only read newsgroup, make ftp, send mail but
> NO DATA CAN BE SHOWN FROM HTTP, the only web page that I can see is my
> home page on the 2nd Windows95 Hard disk. Really Good !

the problem is netscape doesn't recognize your DNS, what I did is I added
my DNS address to the file /etc/resolv.conf na dthe /etc/hosts file and it
worked.

good luck

Ayman

1. PPP problem using Netscape HTTP, ftp & telnet works !

[...]

2. Hiding folders in Netatalk

3. Yield

4. Problem using Xbrowser HTTP, but network app. as telnet & ftp works!

5. What 's Linux utility that scans and flags bad sectors on hard drives?

6. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work

7. SECURITY: LSF Update#11: rxvt vulnerability

8. http works, ftp & telnet dont - going out of my mind!!!

9. FTP & HTTP problem when using my PPPoE Internet access

10. Problems with telnet and ftp while using ppp

11. telnet, ftp, http not working

12. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .