Netscape 4.7 doesn't play nice

Post by Scot » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I installed Netscape 4.7, and it works great unless I try to logoff
while it is in a window.  If it is, X just hangs and I have to
control-alt-backspace to get to command line.  I'm using KDE btw.

Any ideas.

Post by Wayne Osbor » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I installed Netscape 4.7, and it works great unless I try to logoff
> while it is in a window.  If it is, X just hangs and I have to
> control-alt-backspace to get to command line.  I'm using KDE btw.

> Any ideas.

Hi Scott, can you be more specific... what do you really mean by
"logoff".

--
--------------------
Wayne Anthony Osborn

Post by David L. Johnso » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I installed Netscape 4.7, and it works great unless I try to logoff
> while it is in a window.  If it is, X just hangs and I have to
> control-alt-backspace to get to command line.  I'm using KDE btw.

Well, since netscape creates a lockfile (~/.netscape/lock) when run, it is a
bad idea to logout before you close netscape.  The next time you run it will
* about the lockfile, presuming that another copy is running, which it
does not like.  There are probably some leftover cache files as well that a
proper closing of the program will clean up.

--

Department of Mathematics  http://www.veryComputer.com/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University, 14 E. Packer Avenue,  Bethlehem, PA 18015-3174

You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but what canst
thou say?  -- George Fox.

Netscape 4.7 doesn't play nice

Post by Scot » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > I installed Netscape 4.7, and it works great unless I try to logoff
> > while it is in a window.  If it is, X just hangs and I have to
> > control-alt-backspace to get to command line.  I'm using KDE btw.

> > Any ideas.
> Hi Scott, can you be more specific... what do you really mean by
> "logoff".

> --
> --------------------
> Wayne Anthony Osborn
> --------------------

Well, when I'm running it in KDE, and I press the "logout" key, the
screen changes just as if its going to log out, but just locks.  The
only way to proceed is the ctrl  alt backspace thing.

Can't really think of anything else, except 4.5 (I believe) would just
shutdown like all the other applications when I logged out.

Post by Wayne Osbor » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Well, when I'm running it in KDE, and I press the "logout" key, the
> screen changes just as if its going to log out, but just locks.  The
> only way to proceed is the ctrl  alt backspace thing.

> Can't really think of anything else, except 4.5 (I believe) would just
> shutdown like all the other applications when I logged out.

IMHO, Good practice:

Close Netscape down before you do this...

--
--------------------
Wayne Anthony Osborn

1. XMMS can't play MP3's on FreeBSD 4.7

I've configured my kernel for sound using onboard sound card (Crystal
4232). I installed XMMS 1.2.7 and can play CD's but when trying to play
MP3's or Shoutcast streams it just won't budge from 00:00. I can drag
the progress bar around but it just stays where I drag it. If I press
"play" it reset back to 00:00.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? How do I fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

chris

2. Please help a very stupid Linux user

3. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

4. SONY SuperStation 10GB IDE Tape Drive.

5. PALM m500 under FreeBSD 4.7 (with usb cradle) doesn't work for me...

6. Oops! I can't boot anymore... Help!

7. Sendmail doesn't work on Freebsd 4.7

8. SiS 6326 Graphics chipset and Red Hat 5.2

9. Netscape 4.7 on Solaris Sparc - won't resolve hostname

10. Why can't I enable cookies with Netscape Communicator 4.7 and AIX 5.1 ???

11. Netscape 4.7 won't run - charset?

12. Netscape 4.7 vs. Netscape 6.2 BASE URL PATH on a apache 1.3.26 server

13. Netscape doesn't play embedded wavs.