terminal goes screwy after exiting X

Post by T. & E. Warfie » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have a problem with X windows when i shut down X, my terminal goes nutty,
and the display shows funky letter combinations and symbols. I type reset and
it does nothing.

I'm running slackware kernel 2.0.29 w/ x3.1.1 and an Avance Logic 2228 isa card
w/ 1 meg of ram.

any help would be appreciated

todd

terminal goes screwy after exiting X

Post by Sjoerd Kro » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have a problem with X windows when i shut down X, my terminal goes nutty,
> and the display shows funky letter combinations and symbols. I type reset and
> it does nothing.

Do you start X-windows with startx or runx? In the last case I had the
same problems a long time ago, but not with startx..

Greetings,
       Sjoerd

| World Wide Web : http://web.inter.NL.net/users/S.Krol |
                -- Rich Kulawiec

terminal goes screwy after exiting X

Post by George Hill » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a problem with X windows when i shut down X, my terminal goes nutty,
> and the display shows funky letter combinations and symbols. I type reset and
> it does nothing.
> I'm running slackware kernel 2.0.29 w/ x3.1.1 and an Avance Logic 2228 isa card
> w/ 1 meg of ram.

My old Avance 2228 card did this. Do "setfont" after quitting X.

1. SVGATextMode (1.4) usage after exiting X a bit screwy

I finally got SVGATextMode compiled an running on my system.  I've
been able to get readable screens for all the textmodes on the
startup menu.

They all work well, until I start (and later, leave) X.  When I
drop back down to a VC, if I try to change textmodes, I get a
screen that rolls (like the vertical hold on a TV is messed up),
with what looks like a bunch miniature tilings of the text screen.

I can use SVGATextMode to switch back to the screen that I started
X with (usually 80x43 for me). But switching to anything else does
this -- even 80x25.

System info:  P5-100 ; 16M ram + 16M swap ; Linux 2.1.13 ; libc 5.4.13 ;
ld.so 1.8.5 ;   SVGATextMode 1.4 ; Xfree86 3.2 ;  Diamond Viper PCI
(Weitek P9000)  using P9000 accelerated server

Well known and insurmountable problem, or is there some sort of
workaround?   Has anyone even seen anything like this?

---
Mark Orr

2. won't compile

3. Xinerama has made my Mozilla fonts go screwy!

4. pppup questions

5. HELP! Root password's gone screwy.

6. How can I set the mode for X at command line

7. Ran RHN app and system is gone screwy....

8. File System Question

9. Telnet terminal screwy

10. screwy character echo in user-PPP terminal

11. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

12. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

13. callback, ppp, and morning-afters