problem with installing epplets-base 0.5

problem with installing epplets-base 0.5

Post by Andreas Treto » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:07:28

Hi everybody,

I just installed RH 7.0 and am facing a weird problem:
I am running enlightenment as my wm and want to use the epplets as I
used to before. Unfortunately, configure gives me the following error
message (full output):

checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for AIX... no
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for minix/config.h... (cached) no
checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) no
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... (cached) no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
yes
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles...
no
checking if malloc debugging is wanted... no
checking for rm... rm
checking for cp... cp
checking for chmod... chmod
checking for tar... tar
checking for mkdir... mkdir
checking for ar... ar
checking for mv... mv
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for X... no
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for time.h... yes
checking for math.h... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for varargs.h... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for mode_t... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
ERROR:  You need libX11 to build Epplets.  Verify that you have libX11.a
or
        libX11.so installed and that it is located in the X libraries
        directory shown above.  If it is in a different directory, try
using
        the --x-libraries parameter to configure.
configure: error: Fatal:  libX11 not found.

So, I looked for the missing file:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1

Yes ! I have it. So, I tried this:

Without luck, i.e. same output from configure.

Next I created a symlink in /usr/X11R6/lib/: libX11.so -> libX11.so.6

Still without success. What am I missing ?

Please help me. Any pointers are highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Andreas
--
Andreas Tretow

++44-7855-179 876

Post by Markus Kossman » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> checking return type of signal handlers... void
> checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
> ERROR:  You need libX11 to build Epplets.  Verify that you have libX11.a
> or
>         libX11.so installed and that it is located in the X libraries
>         directory shown above.  If it is in a different directory, try
> using
>         the --x-libraries parameter to configure.
> configure: error: Fatal:  libX11 not found.

> So, I looked for the missing file:

> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1

> Yes ! I have it. So, I tried this:

> Without luck, i.e. same output from configure.

> Next I created a symlink in /usr/X11R6/lib/: libX11.so -> libX11.so.6

> Still without success. What am I missing ?

Did you install the development package for X11 (IIRC called x11-devel
on redhat)  ?

--
Markus Kossmann

Post by Dave Ducharm » Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> > checking return type of signal handlers... void
> > checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
> > ERROR:  You need libX11 to build Epplets.  Verify that you have libX11.a
> > or
> >         libX11.so installed and that it is located in the X libraries
> >         directory shown above.  If it is in a different directory, try
> > using
> >         the --x-libraries parameter to configure.
> > configure: error: Fatal:  libX11 not found.

> > So, I looked for the missing file:

> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1

> > Yes ! I have it. So, I tried this:

> > Without luck, i.e. same output from configure.

> > Next I created a symlink in /usr/X11R6/lib/: libX11.so -> libX11.so.6

> > Still without success. What am I missing ?

> Did you install the development package for X11 (IIRC called x11-devel
> on redhat)  ?

> --
> Markus Kossmann

I ran into a similar problem when attempting to build Eterm, actually now
that I think of it, message also came up when I at first attempted to install
enlightenment from source.  I ended up installing both from the rpms because
I couldn't find a solution.

I tried rpm -q for x11, X11, x11-devel and X11-devel; apparently these are
not the package names, nor any variation with X11R6.  The library files
libX11.so and libX11.a are present, but the error comes up every time.

--

- Dave
And from the sky there came a mighty bolt of lightning

And Lo, a great and thunderous voice spake, "Oops, my bad".