Export Display Problems

Post by Axel von Engel » Sun, 27 May 2001 06:10:53

Hi everybody,

I just installed RH 7.1 on my computer. When I try to export the display
to my machine from another one, I run into problems with error messages
like:

Error: Can't open display: hostname:0.0

I did export the display correctly, and set xhost accordingly, and it's
no DNS problem. Is there any other control mechanism that blocks
connections? I looked into the .Xauthority file, and even when removing
it, this error still turn up. In setting up RH 7.1 I used the highest
security level, thus nothing like telnet, ftp, etc is runnig.

Actually, I would rather like to use ssh, for some reasons I do not
understand, the server I am trying to export from comes up with an error
message like:

X connection to hostname:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I guess this server does not support the display forwarding under ssh,
because it works fine with other servers I use.

Any ideas for one or both problems,

Axel

Export Display Problems

Post by Kwan Low » Sun, 27 May 2001 06:30:46

Quote:> Hi everybody,
> I just installed RH 7.1 on my computer. When I try to export the display
> to my machine from another one, I run into problems with error messages
> like:
> Error: Can't open display: hostname:0.0

I believe that RH7.1 now installs a firewall under the highest security
settings.  You may have X traffic blocked.

Quote:> Actually, I would rather like to use ssh, for some reasons I do not
> understand, the server I am trying to export from comes up with an error
> message like:
> X connection to hostname:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Make sure that your sshd_config and ssh_config files allow X forwarding.
Then restart your sshd.
Quote:>eI guess this server does not support the display forwarding under ssh,
> because it works fine with other servers I use.
> Any ideas for one or both problems,
> Axel

1. Export Display Problem

Folks,

Is there a way to rsh from comp-A to comp-B, launch a program on comp-B, and
have it DISPLAY on comp-A, all from a script?  The same process as:

((from comp-A))
    xhost + comp-B
    rsh comp-B
    setenv DISPLAY comp-A:0.0
    /usr/local/bin/program1

This is no problem, except when I try to do this in a script... it does not
work, giving a error about unable to open the display. Can someone point me
in the right direction?

Regards,

Pete

2. Problem in Telnet in my Linux Machine

3. X11 display fails while exporting display on telnet

4. Any way to get 24bpp and 32bpp on Stealth 2001 ARK series?

5. DISPLAY export problems

6. * Experienced Video Telecommunications Programmer Wanted *

7. Problems with Exporting Display

8. Printing from AIX via NT 4.0

9. Exporting X display to Linux problem

10. Remote XWindows and auto display export.

11. Req: help exporting display

12. Exporting display through script

13. Exporting DISPLAY over masqueraded IP