mach32, static, arg!

Post by Craig A. Johnst » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 10:08:43

Hardware: ATI GUPro PCI, mach32 graphics chip, 2 megs VRAM.

Software: XFree 3.1, mach32 server.

The problem is sort of strange.  It occurs in both the modes I use,
one a 1280x1024 VESA mode, adjusted slightly for left-right centering,
and the other a home-rolled 1192x930.  The pixel clocks are 135Mhz
and 126Mhz, respectively.

Both modes look perfect, except for a 1-2 pixel column on the side
of the screen -- right side for the 1280 mode at 135, and left
side for the 1192 mode at 126.  What I get is, at first just a very
few pixels blinking on and off, the color of my X background, and then
more, and more, until I have a * sawtooth sort of pattern buzzing
along the side of the screen.

The funny thing is, when I start X it's not there -- not at all.  It
begins when I pull up an xterm, is very minor at first, and then
builds.  Once it's going it does not go away if I get rid of the xterm.

I'm wondering if something systematic is going on here, because the
problem is on different sides in different modes...leading me to
believe I might be able to shift it off the screen?  I've fiddled,
but so far no dice.

I was able to previously run X at 135 Mhz with the same 1280x1024
mode on an ATI GUPro VLB, same monitor, without this problem
occuring.  The monitor is a Nanao Flexscan 6500, BTW.  It certainly
should be able to manage a 126Mhz pixel clock with no problems.  I
am running right about dead on it's max horiz. scan rate, at 79.9khz,
with max being 80khz.

As I just bought this card, what I am wanting to know is if this
is probably a problem with this specific card -- i.e. should I send
it back for another?   Or is this perhaps a problem with recent
mach32 cards?  It's a VRAM card w/a max pixel clock of 135Mhz,
so should definitely handle a 126Mhz clock without any trouble.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm thinking it's my card.

Any owners of recently-made PCI GUPros *not* having this problem at
126Mhz+ pixel clocks?

Thanks much in advance.

--

                  "Cavitas in dentibus facimus!"

mach32, static, arg!

Post by Craig A. Johnst » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 16:29:36

>A number of Mach32 users report "static" of various kinds while using
>XFree86 3.1.  I have never seen a solution to the problem suggested. My
>best guess is simply that the Mach32 server is buggy.

Problem is, I was used the exact same server with a VLB version, and
all was fine.  Same 1280x1024 mode.  This is driving me nuts.

--

                  "Cavitas in dentibus facimus!"

1. invoking ld(1) with -z ld32=arg when arg takes a comma

I want to set the default library search path (-YP) however as pointed
out in another thread ld doesn't automatically append 32|64 to each
path element.  To pass class-specific arguments, you invoke ld like so:

  ld -z ld32=arg1,arg2,...

however 'ld -z ld32=-Y,P,foo:bar' fails with

  ld: fatal: option -Y has illegal argument `P'
  ld: fatal: Flags processing errors

... of course, since the ld32 arg parsing eliminates the comma and treats
this as 3 args instead of 2.  I'd prefer not to play with env. vars.
Any way to work around this?  Should be a fairly trivial patch to ld
to allow it to handle '-Y P,' *cough*.

I can't pass -L arguments because they aren't searched the same way.

/fc

2. virtual servers and mosaic

3. /bin/sh: VAR=function arg arg ? (possible?)

4. as86?

5. Is there any static ARP concept for static IP network?

6. Red Hat 6.0 PPP problems

7. Utility To Determine Static Libs In An Application (ldd for static libs)

8. Putting the creation time of a file to use

9. Using static mutex object for synchronization when accessing static storage data

10. linking static archive to another static archive

11. 2.5.44 : remove STATIC static ?

12. "static declaration for `function' follows non-static"????

13. Problem: shared object loading runs constructor of a static object, but static linkage does not.