MATROX XFree Team - Did they make their date???

MATROX XFree Team - Did they make their date???

Post by Darren Carpent » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello all
        I, like many, am waiting for the XFree matrox drivers.  Using
X for 10 minutes at a time is really starting to annoy me.   I went to
the developers page - which has not been updated since 9/17, and read
that they needed to ship code by 9/30 to have it included in the next
release of XFree.  Does anyone know if they made the deadline?

Regards
Darren Carpenter

Post by Kai Harrekilde-Peterse » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

   Hello all
           I, like many, am waiting for the XFree matrox drivers.  Using
   X for 10 minutes at a time is really starting to annoy me.   I went to
   the developers page - which has not been updated since 9/17, and read
   that they needed to ship code by 9/30 to have it included in the next
   release of XFree.  Does anyone know if they made the deadline?

Patience, my dear friend.  From what I understand on Dirk Hohndel,
there will be a server available at the end of the month (I
volunteered as alpha victim, and Dirk said "wait").

Kai
--

http://www.dolphinics.no/~khp/          Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
Route 287 - Where Men are Men and sheep are nervous ...

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Hello all
:       I, like many, am waiting for the XFree matrox drivers.  Using
: X for 10 minutes at a time is really starting to annoy me.   I went to
: the developers page - which has not been updated since 9/17, and read
: that they needed to ship code by 9/30 to have it included in the next
: release of XFree.  Does anyone know if they made the deadline?

Yes.

--

Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
XFree86 Matrox Team http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

Post by Mark Vojkovi » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hello all
>    I, like many, am waiting for the XFree matrox drivers.  Using
>X for 10 minutes at a time is really starting to annoy me.   I went to
>the developers page - which has not been updated since 9/17, and read
>that they needed to ship code by 9/30 to have it included in the next
>release of XFree.  Does anyone know if they made the deadline?

  Yes they did. 8,16,32 bpp, accelerated solid lines, aledgely
accelerated blits (the benchmarks don't really show it, but solid
lines seem very fast).  No problems getting 1024x768 running
in 16bpp. 70K XStones in 8bpp on a P90 with 16Meg. Not particulary
fast, but stable and faster than generic svga, and with high color
and high resolution support. Linear framebuffer works but DGA
appears to be broken.  There is still time for bug fixes though,
so DGA may get fixed before 3.2.

                        Mark.