installing window maker help

Post by Tom Le » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I was having troubles running make in my windowmaker directory.  It couldn't
find Xlib.h and Xutil.h.  If I went into my wrlib directory and manually
edited the .c files that windowmaker was compiling and changed
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include </usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h>
then it worked.
However, now window maker is trying to gcc something and -lX11 is one of the
options, so it's blowing up again.  It's obvious that it can't use X11 on
it's own to find /usr/X11R6/include/X11, but what do I do?  I tried creating
symbolic links in both the window maker root and wrlib directories, but it
didn't work.  Help?

Tom

installing window maker help

Post by brent verne » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

try this:

dank:~$ ldconfig -v | grep libX11
14:     libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1
37:     libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1
ldconfig: can't create /etc/ld.so.cache~ (Permission denied)
dank:~$

if you do not get the above output do a
`locate libX11` and see if it returns anything
 if it does, but the `ldconfig` didn't you need
to add the path to the libX11 found from `locate`
(most always /usr/X11R6/lib) in /etc/ld.so.conf
then `ldconfig -v` while still as root. wmaker
should compile fine now. if not, make sure there
is an "option" in the gcc command like '-L/usr/X11R6/lib'

hth.
brent

a *very* happy wmaker user!

> I was having troubles running make in my windowmaker directory.  It couldn't
> find Xlib.h and Xutil.h.  If I went into my wrlib directory and manually
> edited the .c files that windowmaker was compiling and changed
> #include <X11/Xlib.h>
> #include </usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h>
> then it worked.
> However, now window maker is trying to gcc something and -lX11 is one of the
> options, so it's blowing up again.  It's obvious that it can't use X11 on
> it's own to find /usr/X11R6/include/X11, but what do I do?  I tried creating
> symbolic links in both the window maker root and wrlib directories, but it
> didn't work.  Help?

> Tom

installing window maker help

Post by Tom Le » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I did ldconfig -v | grep libX11 and got:

libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1
libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1

When I did locate libX11 it said:

locate: /var/lib/locatedb: No such file or directory.

My /etc/ld.so.conf is:
/usr/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib

How would I make sure of that option in GCC like you mention?

Thanks,
Tom

Quote:>try this:

>dank:~$ ldconfig -v | grep libX11
>14:     libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1
>37:     libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6.1
>ldconfig: can't create /etc/ld.so.cache~ (Permission denied)
>dank:~$

>if you do not get the above output do a
>`locate libX11` and see if it returns anything
> if it does, but the `ldconfig` didn't you need
>to add the path to the libX11 found from `locate`
>(most always /usr/X11R6/lib) in /etc/ld.so.conf
>then `ldconfig -v` while still as root. wmaker
>should compile fine now. if not, make sure there
>is an "option" in the gcc command like '-L/usr/X11R6/lib'

>hth.
>brent

>a *very* happy wmaker user!

installing window maker help

Post by Sasch » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

mmh, it seems to be a problem with the include-path, not with the libs. Make sure
you have a link called /usr/include/X11 pointing to /usr/X11R6/include/X11 !

That should solve your problem

CU
Sascha

installing window maker help

Post by Tom Le » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I put the link there - wasn't there before - and am still getting

ld: cannot open -lX11: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

When I installed X, I wasn't able to use EXTRACT - I had to untar the files
manually.  Could this be part of the problem?
As in the X RELNOTES, it says to do (from /usr/X11R6)
/var/tmp/EXTRACT /var/tmp/X*.tgz
and I get

/var/tmp/EXTRACT: invalid option -- /

When I do /var/tmp/EXTRACT -x /var/tmp/X*.tgz nothing happens - no return
prompt.  Have to ctrl-c.

???

Quote:>mmh, it seems to be a problem with the include-path, not with the libs.
!

>That should solve your problem

>CU
>Sascha

1. No more X server after GNUStep and window maker install.

Hi,

After install GNUstep, window maker (Last release available) i loose the
start of X server.
After booting in text mode i have ''Login''.
After login with my user and pass i have ''New mail'' and thats all.

If i try X or startx or afterstep or wmaker somme errors are display as
''autenfication fail'', ''cannot connect to X server''.
To avoid to reinstall again all Q3 release please help me.

Thanks for answers.

Stephane

2. Multiplayer Half-Life and IPMasq

3. Install Window Maker

4. querydomain

5. Errors while installing Window Maker

6. YDL 2.3 and c500 w/newertech g3

7. How to install Window Maker?

8. rlogin with another name

9. How do I install Window Maker

10. non-root install of Window Maker on Solaris box

11. Window Maker- What do I need to be able to install binaries?

12. Faster Window Makers That Look Like MS Windows?

13. Color problems in root window with Window Maker 0.50.2