fvwm95-2...can't run it...

Post by Raul Yoni (Jo » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

I downloaded the source for fvwm95-2 and compiled it normally with no
problems and edited my xinitrc file to load fvwm95-2 instead of normal
fvwm and it starts up X, well it tries to, and then exits back out. if I
type 'startx fvwm95-2' X starts up but there is absolutely nothing on
the screen except my mouse cursor. Has anoyone had similar problems? -
I'd like to make it so that the xinit method loads it so that I don't
have to type 'startx ...' since I am using a graphical login currently.

I am running Slack v2 with kernel v1.3.15

        Thanks,

          -rjc-

fvwm95-2...can't run it...

Post by Wang Zhong Mi » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I downloaded the source for fvwm95-2 and compiled it normally with no
> problems and edited my xinitrc file to load fvwm95-2 instead of normal
> fvwm and it starts up X, well it tries to, and then exits back out. if I
> type 'startx fvwm95-2' X starts up but there is absolutely nothing on
> the screen except my mouse cursor. Has anoyone had similar problems? -
> I'd like to make it so that the xinit method loads it so that I don't
> have to type 'startx ...' since I am using a graphical login currently.

You need put '.fvwm2rc95' or '.fvwmrc', depending on your configuration,
in your home diirectory. You may use the example.fvwm2rc95, coming with
package as an example to create your own one.

good luck!

Wang Zhong Min

Laboratory of Hydrology
Free University Brussels
Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels
Belgium

fvwm95-2...can't run it...

Post by Joe Feeni » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> I downloaded the source for fvwm95-2 and compiled it normally with no
> problems and edited my xinitrc file to load fvwm95-2 instead of normal
> fvwm and it starts up X, well it tries to, and then exits back out. if I
> type 'startx fvwm95-2' X starts up but there is absolutely nothing on
> the screen except my mouse cursor. Has anoyone had similar problems? -
> I'd like to make it so that the xinit method loads it so that I don't
> have to type 'startx ...' since I am using a graphical login currently.

> I am running Slack v2 with kernel v1.3.15

>         Thanks,

>           -rjc-

You need to copy the sample-fvwm2rc95 file that comes in the archive to
$HOME/.fvwm2rc95 and it should work I had the same problem at first.

Joe

fvwm95-2...can't run it...

Post by Deva Samarth » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know if it is possible to save the current state
( window positions and applications running in them )
across login sessions?

Like my A window had A1 appl running  on that postion on the
desktop, B window has B1 appl running .....

Upon exit fvwm saves it's state and picks it up upon restart.

I am new to this, maybe it's failry easy maybe it's impossible.

Could not find options  in the man page.

Thanks,

Samartha

fvwm95-2...can't run it...

Post by Wayn » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if it is possible to save the current state
> ( window positions and applications running in them )
> across login sessions?

> Like my A window had A1 appl running  on that postion on the
> desktop, B window has B1 appl running .....

> Upon exit fvwm saves it's state and picks it up upon restart.

> I am new to this, maybe it's failry easy maybe it's impossible.

> Could not find options  in the man page.

> Thanks,

> Samartha

I believe it is possible with the FvwmSave module.  I've never tried it, so I can't confirm it though.
Wayne

fvwm95-2...can't run it...

Post by Marc A. Sel » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> Does anyone know if it is possible to save the current state
>> ( window positions and applications running in them )
>> across login sessions?

>> Like my A window had A1 appl running  on that postion on the
>> desktop, B window has B1 appl running .....

>> Upon exit fvwm saves it's state and picks it up upon restart.
>I believe it is possible with the FvwmSave module.  I've never tried it, so I can't confirm it though.

I did not get the original article, so I'm replying to this one.  Yes,
it is possible to save the state of the desktop, but how much data is
actually saved depends on how cooperative your applications are.
Usually you can save and restore the following information: what
applications are running, whether or not they are iconized, and where
on your screen they are.  With most applications, you cannot hope to
restore where in your document you were, for example.

Here's how to do it.  In your .fvwmrc, simply add the line
        Module  "SaveDesktop" FvwmSave
to one of your menus.  Upon activation of that menu item, your desktop
configuration is saved to a file "new.xinitrc".  To restore the
desktop, simply execute that file.

Well, you'll say, fine, but what I really wanted was for the desktop
to get saved automagically when I quit and restored automagically
as soon as I enter X again.  You can do that, too, but -- at least in
fvwm 1.2, which is what I still use -- it does not work just to add
FvwmSave before the "Quit" line in your .fvwmrc, because fvwm does
not wait for FvwmSave to finish saving your desktop before exiting --
thus killing the freshly started module before anything is saved.

What I did was:  Replace
        Quick   "Quit fvwm"
by
        Function        "Save and exit"       save_and_exit

That function is defined as
Function "save_and_exit"
        Module  "I"   FvwmSave
        Desk    "I"   0 2     # or whichever desk you don't use
        Exec    "I"   (sleep 2; xeyes)
        Desk    "I"   0 1     # or whichever desk you use
        Wait    "I"   xeyes
        Quit    "I"
EndFunction

FvwmSave is started; xeyes is started after a two-second-pause; as
soon as the xeyes window appears, fvwm quits.  FvwmSave has at
least two seconds to perform its task -- and that is usually enough.

It would be even more elegant to have something like
        Sleep   "I"   20
but fvwm 1.2 does not have a command to unconditionally wait in a
function.

You still have to add some code to your .xsession or .xinitrc or both
to make fvwm restore your desktop.  This is what I have at the end of
my .xsession (with .xinitrc being a symlink to .xsession):
if [ -f ~/new.xinitrc ]; then           # do we have a new.xinitrc?
        grep -v 'fvwm' ~/new.xinitrc | grep -v 'xconsole' > /tmp/xinitrc.$$
                                # do not restart fvwm or xconsole
        . /tmp/xinitrc.$$
        rm /tmp/xinitrc.$$
        rm ~/new.xinitrc
else
        # If there is no saved state, fall back to a sane state.
        xterm -geometry 80x34+0+0 &
fi
fvwm

I hope this helps!

cu
   Marc

--

Get my pgp key: http://www.fak14.uni-muenchen.de/~mselig/mykey.asc

1. ??: User Messages While in 'fvwm95-2' - How?

Hi All;

I've just discovered (?) that I don't get 'talk' requests or 'New
Mail' notification while I'm in XFree86 (unless I'm running a shell
window, which isn't guaranteed).

I've had an 'xconsole' window open BUT THIS DOESN"T DO WHAT I
EXPECTED!!! (go figure  :-)  )

The situation is:
- I login as a user to tty3 (console).
- Initiate 'startx'
- Have 'xclock' and 'netscape' running.
- If mail or a 'talk' request arrives I hear a beep
  (unless I have the music going) but no visual indicator.

How do I leave something in the background that becomes active on one
of these requests???  Even a small window on the desktop that allows
something to scroll up so that I notice it ... then I'll open a shell
or the like to respond or get more information.

I'm running SlackWare 3.1 (96) updated to V2.0.30!

Thanks in advance for any direction.

   --------------------------------------
     Doug Mitton
      * In Brockville, Ontario, Canada
        (City of the Thousand Islands!)

      http://mulberry.com/~dmitton
   --------------------------------------

2. ftape and REVEAL TB1400

3. fvwm95 or fvwm95-2

4. Broadband "Firewall/Routers"

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. Symbol Spectrum24 wireless LAN driver?

7. Netscape & .tgz files?

8. fvwm95-2.0.43a

9. Workman/FVWM95-2/Accel X 3.1

10. FVWM95-2 and Desktop saving

11. fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

12. Starting FVWM95-2 from .bashrc problem