how to ...

Post by Yasumats » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

 I just got X-windows up, after getting 3.3 of Mach 64 server.  When I
startx it opens to FVWM 95, which is fine, but I get some huge virtual
desktop, how can I get this back to a non-virtual mode, and how do I adjust
display settings and install programs onto the start button? Thanks

how to ...

Post by Robrecht Jacque » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>  I just got X-windows up, after getting 3.3 of Mach 64 server.  When I
> startx it opens to FVWM 95, which is fine, but I get some huge virtual
> desktop, how can I get this back to a non-virtual mode,

I assume that when you say vitual desktop that you mean that when your
mouse gets at the end of the screen it scrolls further and not the virtual
desktops of the pager of fvwm. If this is so here's the answer:
in /etc/X11/XF86Config (or wherever it is stored) change the Virtual
setting in the Screen sections to whatever you want, eg:
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "vga16"
    Device      "Generic VGA"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600            << change this to 640x480
    EndSubsection
EndSection
If you set the Virtual smaller than the fysical (specified in Modes) than
he'll use the fysical size.

Quote:> and how do I adjust display settings

What do you mean? The resolution? You have to press ALT-CTRL-+ (or -) then
(or change /etc/X11/XF86Config so it lists the desired mode first). The
colordepth? You'll have to restart the X-server to do this ('start -- -bpp
16') or change in /etc/X11/XF86Config the default colordepth. The Xsettings
of the different programs? Edit .Xdefaults or .Xresources in your
homedirectory ...

Quote:> and install programs onto the start button?

Edit .fvwm95rc ? (or /usr/lib/fvwm95/system.fvwm95rc) ...