GPM repeater mode freezes

Post by Derek B. Noonbu » Wed, 01 May 2002 03:57:17

I use GPM (version 1.19.3) in repeater mode, with XFree86 4.1.0 set up
to read from /dev/gpmdata.  This has been working fine for years.

I just upgraded from a KX133-based motherboard to an ASUS A7V266E
(KX266A-based), and now the mouse freezes up whenever I start X, and
occasionally while X is running.

If I switch to another virtual console and restart gpm ("gpm -k" to
kill the old one, then "gpm -t ps2 -R -r 20" to start a new one), then
I can switch back to the X console and the mouse is working.  (Until
it decides to die again.)

Has anyone seen this, or have any clue what's going on?

- Derek

GPM repeater mode freezes

Post by Remc » Sat, 04 May 2002 16:23:09

Quote:> I use GPM (version 1.19.3) in repeater mode, with XFree86 4.1.0 set up
> to read from /dev/gpmdata.  This has been working fine for years.

This has been my favorite setup for years. Works great.
Quote:

> I just upgraded from a KX133-based motherboard to an ASUS A7V266E
> (KX266A-based), and now the mouse freezes up whenever I start X, and
> occasionally while X is running.

I use: gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux -R and have just the following in my
XF86Config-4 file:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "MouseSystems"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/gpmdata"
EndSection

I can only guess at your setup. Does your XF86Config-4 file contain
more input device definitions. Maybe one of them tries to read from
/dev/psaux?
R.

GPM repeater mode freezes

Post by Derek B. Noonbu » Tue, 07 May 2002 16:40:05

>> I use GPM (version 1.19.3) in repeater mode, with XFree86 4.1.0 set up
>> to read from /dev/gpmdata.  This has been working fine for years.
> This has been my favorite setup for years. Works great.

>> I just upgraded from a KX133-based motherboard to an ASUS A7V266E
>> (KX266A-based), and now the mouse freezes up whenever I start X, and
>> occasionally while X is running.
> I use: gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux -R and have just the following in my
> XF86Config-4 file:
> I can only guess at your setup. Does your XF86Config-4 file contain
> more input device definitions. Maybe one of them tries to read from
> /dev/psaux?

I've done some more experimenting (see my post in c.o.l.hardware), and
found two things:

(1) the mouse freezes whenever I hit CapsLock or NumLock

(2) it has nothing to do with X - if I run gpm on a text console, I
    get the exact same behavior

- Derek

1. Mouse/X Windows: GPM repeater (gpm -R, /dev/gpmdata) problem

I am attempting to get my 3-button, M$ protocol mouse to work properly
under X. I tried getting the mouse to switch to MouseSystems protocol
by the methods described in the HOWTO to no success (no jumpers
inside, and it ignores left button held on power-up). So, reading
further, I set up gpm as a "repeater" with

gpm -3 -R -t ms

And then modified XF86Config to use /dev/gpmdata with the 3-button
MouseSystems protocol. This works, except I cannot drag the middle
button (button 2.) If I attempt to to this, GPM will send one button-2
click, then a bunch of move messages, then another click when i
release button-2, through gpmdata.

How can I solve this? I could use either:

- A patch to GPM to send the right data
- A patch to X to use the 3-button extension to the MS protocol, like
  GPM does in console mode.

The latter would be preferred. I can't figure out why the feature
hasn't been incorporated into X yet. I'm using:

gpm 1.13
XFree86 3.3.1

--
please read: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
"cry me a bayou/and i'm leaving..." -tricky

2. Group membership for a group

3. 3rd time. prism2 repeater mode, hostap drivers, linux

4. Burning

5. GPM and X11 Freeze mouse, foul keyboard

6. GNU Emacs for MS-DOS...

7. gpm (mouse in text mode) for FreeBSD ?

8. Mutt says "mailcap entry for type image/jpeg not found"

9. GPM-1.09 & X ( trying to use GPM as mouse )

10. gpm-0.96 with the new gpm-root utility

11. Freeze freeze freeze..

12. Mouse Freezes on 8.0 in GUI mode

13. Red Hat 7.1 freezes up after idling for a while in both text and KDE modes