X, bash, delete/backspace keys

Post by J.T. Holmes, J » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 07:15:04

Long story short. I have read everything, that is everything I can find.
I can make things work fine in Console Mode (which is almost always
possible).

I use the  Delete key (the one near the Enter key)  as the  Interrupt Key
(i.e. same same  Control C)  in other words I  execute

stty erase ^H
stty intr ^?

keycode 14 set to  delete
keycode 111 set to backspace

\e[3~   in  .inputrc

etc. etc.
this all works fine in  Console Mode but in X another story.

Once in X   I exec the following

xmodmap ...    to swap  Delete and BackSpace  Keys

then

stty erase ^H
stty intr ^?

bind -f  .inputrc

.inputrc contains same as above

also I am trying to  do  Vi  editing mode in Bash and  things work
somewhat, after the above commands (backspace works,  delete issues
interrups ok, but  ESC  does not work.
 but  when I exec
set -o vi
and hit  ESC  and then  minus key to move
back in the Hist buffer   I  get a beep  (i.e.  the  Esc is recognized
but the  minus  is not) appears to be in   Emacs  editing mode
because  Control R  works just fine.
Also the  Backspace Key no longer work, but acts like it is not
defined.

bind -v
says  vi-editing-mode

etc.  etc.

what have I left out. Cannot find the common thread to make all things work
what I want is:

backspace to  delete last character typed
delete key  to  send whatever will issue the  interrupt sequence
Vi editing mode under bash both in Console and X windows mode.

If I have left out any info then let me know.
I know it is unusual to use the  Delete key to function as the Normal
Default  Control C  sequence does but that is what I want.

If there is some paper I haven't read  then point me to it actually I would
prefer that I figure it out myself as that is a better way to learn.

Thanks

X, bash, delete/backspace keys

Post by J.T. Holmes, J » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:56:45

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:15:04 GMT, "J.T. Holmes, Jr"

Interestingly enough I discovered the problem while thinking about
it on the way home from work this PM.

Quote:

>Long story short. I have read everything, that is everything I can find.
>I can make things work fine in Console Mode (which is almost always
>possible).

>I use the  Delete key (the one near the Enter key)  as the  Interrupt Key
>(i.e. same same  Control C)  in other words I  execute

>stty erase ^H
>stty intr ^?

>keycode 14 set to  delete
>keycode 111 set to backspace

>\e[3~   in  .inputrc

>etc. etc.
>this all works fine in  Console Mode but in X another story.

>Once in X   I exec the following

>xmodmap ...    to swap  Delete and BackSpace  Keys

>then

>stty erase ^H
>stty intr ^?

>bind -f  .inputrc

>.inputrc contains same as above

>also I am trying to  do  Vi  editing mode in Bash and  things work
>somewhat, after the above commands (backspace works,  delete issues
>interrups ok, but  ESC  does not work.
> but  when I exec
>set -o vi
>and hit  ESC  and then  minus key to move
>back in the Hist buffer   I  get a beep  (i.e.  the  Esc is recognized
>but the  minus  is not) appears to be in   Emacs  editing mode
>because  Control R  works just fine.
>Also the  Backspace Key no longer work, but acts like it is not
>defined.

>bind -v
>says  vi-editing-mode

>etc.  etc.

>what have I left out. Cannot find the common thread to make all things work
>what I want is:

>backspace to  delete last character typed
>delete key  to  send whatever will issue the  interrupt sequence
>Vi editing mode under bash both in Console and X windows mode.

>If I have left out any info then let me know.
>I know it is unusual to use the  Delete key to function as the Normal
>Default  Control C  sequence does but that is what I want.

>If there is some paper I haven't read  then point me to it actually I would
>prefer that I figure it out myself as that is a better way to learn.

>Thanks

1. Bash, X, delete/backspace keys ???

Long story short. I have read everything, that is everything I can find.
I can make things work fine in Console Mode (which is almost always
possible).

I use the  Delete key (the one near the Enter key)  as the  Interrupt Key
(i.e. same same  Control C)  in other words I  execute

stty erase ^H
stty intr ^?

keycode 14 set to  delete
keycode 111 set to backspace

\e[3~   in  .inputrc

etc. etc.
this all works fine in  Console Mode but in X another story.

Once in X   I exec the following

xmodmap ...    to swap  Delete and BackSpace  Keys

then

stty erase ^H
stty intr ^?

bind -f  .inputrc

.inputrc contains same as above

2. Setting up SSA Documentation?

3. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

4. Anyone with >512M ram

5. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

6. Netscape 4.x text field problems

7. backspace key is behaving like a delete key

8. Printer setup problem

10. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

11. Delete & Backspace key identical. What gives?

12. backspace and delete keys in xterm under XDM behave strangely.

13. Delete Key versus Backspace