Strange /etc/X11/prefdm (xdm/gdm) behavior

Strange /etc/X11/prefdm (xdm/gdm) behavior

Post by Jonas Bygde » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I switched from gnome/enlightenment to windowmaker some time ago and
since then I'm unable to get gdm to run as login service, I only get
xdm.

I've relinked /etc/X11/prefdm from /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm to /usr/bin/gdm
about a dussin times now, but it never survived a reboot so I stopped
booting into runlevel 5 and gone back to runlevel 3, console login and
then startx.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and found a solution to the
problem?

--
 Jonas Bygdn
 Jonas dot Bygden at sun dot com